Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air cond compressor interchange

I looked up the interchange for my Subaru Legacy ( 1999 SUS ) and it came back 1998-1999 Legacy only. Got to the yard to find every 1998-1999 Legacy either had no motor or the compressor was locked up. I found a good compressor in a 1998 Forester ( EJ22 swapped to boot ) and it looks like the line that goes into the side of the pump is just a little straighter than on the Lego. wiring matches. Will this swap? I think I can get that difference in the connection worked out with the little bit of play in the rubber line, providing the pressures and such match what the Lego needs

There are so many different compressors, it's tough.  First measure the length of the compressor, you can go from bolt to bolt.  Then make sure the ports are in the same spot/angle.  Finally you can measure the port diameters, they can be a few millimeters different.

The wiring is not as big of a deal, and if yours has the temperature switch you can usually swap it to the new one or just bypass it.

As far as pressures, etc, it's the length of the compressor that determines how much it pumps.  If it's a different length it won't bolt up.  So if it bolts up you should be good in that regard.

Thanks. They are the same length. Only cost $22 if it don't work

Also check to see if the pulley is the same size, and the pulley shaft length is the same on $22 unit vs unit on your car. If so, should work.

Be careful, if you need to bend a line to do a hook up. It is very easy to split a line open,  when bending the line.

won't need to give much. The rubber part of the line will give what it needs. The connection is about 1/16" or less off from being the same angle. I debated getting that line from the Forrester but after I went back and looked at a '99 Legacy GT's compressor ( seized like my car's is ) I determined that they were a very close match.

Edited by matt167

won't need to give much. The rubber part of the line will give what it needs. The connection is about 1/16" or less off from being the same angle. I debated getting that line from the Forrester but after I went back and looked at a '99 Legacy GT's compressor ( seized like my car's is ) I determined that they were a very close match.

Sounds like you have thought this swap through very well. Hope all goes well upon assembly.