Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats it worth (1990 Turbo 4WD wagon)

1990 Loyale Turbo 4WD Station Wagon. Only made one year. 122k miles. AT. PW. PD. PB. PS. AC/ AM/FM/Cass. Inspected until 02/14.

I bought this car to drive to work (150 miles/day), so I put a lot of money into it (Between $2K-$3k) replacing things and trying to make it very dependable. Recently, I changed jobs and bought a truck, and I no longer have need for the Subie. It's a great running little wagon, and I hate to get rid of it, but I just dont want to keep up two vehicles right now. When I bought the car, it had 102k original miles on it, and it is a southern car.  Body is really solid. Previous owner hit a deer, so the whole front clip was replaced.

Here is a list of items replaced on the car within the last 15k-20k miles. All work was done by professional garages. All parts were bought new.

All belts

All hoses

Complete timing kit (belts, adjusters, tensioners, etc) (at 105k)

Both front axles

Both rear shocks

Muffler and tailpipe

Starter

Alternator

Various sensors

Brakes and rotors

New radiator

Tranny flushed and fluid and filter replaced

Coolant system flushed and coolant and thermostat replaced. (About 300 miles ago)

A/C system charged (Last summer. Still blows very cold air)

All new tires (less than 3k miles on them)

Ball joints

The car has a lot of quirks (Like most old Subarus) and it does have a pretty agressive oil leak in one of the head gaskets, but other than that, it runs like a top. I drive it almost every day because it gets a lot better gas mileage than my truck does. Everything except the cruise control works. Just starting to show some rust in one of the fender lips, and rockers. A few parking lot dings. Interior is very nice (blue cloth), but the plastic in the rear cargo area is sun faded. Carpet is nice.

NADA lists it as $2000 low book and $4700 high book, and that's not taking the low mileage into account.

Anyways, I'm going to sell it, and I'd like some opinions as to what you guys feel its worth considering it has has so much done to it.

Click on the thumbnail below to get a large photo.

post-32049-0-68170600-1369681767_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeryst

1500-2000 dollars, doing regular maintenance doesn't equal increased value, just means it has been taken care of. Also it may be the only year of a loyale turbo but it's the same as any other ea82t wagon since 1988. The automatic transmission also hurts the value.

• Like 1

True, but since I spent all of this money. someone else doesnt have to. Anybody that buys an older car is probably going to need to sink

quite a bit of money into it. This one doesnt need it. Evey used Subaru I have ever bought needed work done (timing belt, brakes, axles, etc).

Look at it this way. If you had the choice of two identical cars, and one had everything replaced, and the other one didnt, which one would you choose?

So obviously the maintenance adds some value.

Edited by jeryst

being that I can do the work myself the difference would be the price. I bought a 97 legacy with a stack of receipts, new tires, new front axles, new front struts, new belts, and so on. It also doesn't need a head gasket replacement and I paid 1900 for it. All things considered I was being more than fair in my opinion of the value, without the head gasket problem I would say 2500 at the high end personally.

Yeah, you asked for what we think it's worth, not an argument about why we think that's what it's worth.

It's a nice wagon. Being rust free helps. I'd pay $3,000 tops. And that's being real generous.

I bought a 93 3 speed FWD loyale with 52,000 miles on it 4 years ago for $1,000 flat. It was immaculate.

I bought an 87 GL with 46,000 miles on it 3 years ago for $1,200. It was a little rusty but had the 5 speed dual range 4wd.

Your car isn't worth as much as you are hoping. You've actually put more money in to it than it was worth; don't expect to get it back. This is something that happens to all of us by the way lol

Edited by l75eya

I'd say keep it, make a toy out of it, the turbo and 4eat would be a decent combo for offroading, lift it and put some tires on it. and a spare car is always a good thing

But if I were to put a price, it would be $2500 without the oil leak. $1700 with it. But then again, cars are much cheaper here.

Depends on your audience too. If you just posted this on Craigslist, don't expect to get more than $1000 for it. Obviously, people on here understand the value more than others. But to a stranger who knows nothing about Subarus, it's just another old car with problems.

Personally, I'd put a price tag between $1000 and $2000. It's been said above, but don't expect to get your money back from all the things you replaced. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of the replies. I wasnt looking for an arguement. It's just that I've bought and sold a lot of classic cars over the last 20 years,

and options and/or rarity can mean a huge difference in price. For example, if you tell the owner of a Hemi-Cuda that his car is just another Cuda with a different engine

and is not worth more than a regular Cuda, you are probably in for a fight. And with classic cars, there is a big difference between a rust bucket vs a car in average shape vs a car in great shape.

I know, I know, a Subaru is not a classic car. I just thought the same rules applied, considering that the value guides list this particular vehicle as having a much higher value than a regular Loyale wagon.

I guess, in the case of a Subaru, the value guides and rarity dont really mean anything. Good to know.

Either way, I havent sold it yet. I've been driving it because it's just fun to drive, and because there have been few times in the last 30 years that I havent had a Subie to drive.

Maybe I'll take AKghandi's advice and keep it as a toy.

If you did keep the car, that would be the best way to see the value of the investment put into it.

In regards to selling used cars, say for example, you have a car that book values for $1,000, and you put $1,000 of work into it, it is still only worth $1,000.

As far as selling for better and you can prove the maintenance, that helps. But generally, old car with low mileage equals has been sitting for long time, which presumes sitting rust, rusty brake and fuel lines, and old dryrotted seals.

Personally, i would pay $1,500 or so, give or take a few bucks, knowing what it is and what i would be getting. But if i was selling the same car, I wouldn't expect to get too much for it, mainly because no one would know what the car is, or appreciate it enough to see my price, or just assume an old car is no good.

Good luck with the sale though, hopefully a fellow enthusiast will find it for sale and make a decent offer.

90% of a subarus value is sentimental. also one must consider the abundance of early legacies in the same price range.

ps that oil leak, probably not hgs. redo your cam case after you eliminate valve cover gaskets as the issue. 

• 1 month later...

Anybody interested in it at $2k? I just noticed that one of the boots is ripped and the axle is starting to make some noise, so I'll have the whole thing replaced.

I've put another1000 miles on it, and was planning on keeping it, but my son just offered me his 97 Impreza Outback Sport, which I really like, so I bought it.

Now I have two cars I dont need-lol, so the wife says I better get rid of one.

Yeah that might be rare, but it's still not too desirable. If this were a 2 door EA81, which is probably just as rare (hell maybe not even as rare), you could make some money off of it. Or if it were a BRAT, then you'd really have a catch on your hands. But the least desirable turbo engine Subaru ever made, put in a Loyale? Rare doesn't mean squat at that point. However, I think it's worth a solid $2000 just because it's got the 4EAT and nearly no rust. I had a GL just like this one but with the nicer interior and bells and whistles and it was also turbo with the 4EAT. AWESOME car. Sold it for $700 cuz around here, Subarus aren't worth very much. You're up north, a rust-free/almost rust-free Subaru is worth more. Good luck with the sale!! Surely somebody on here will take interest.