Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 DL - help finding Headlight Relays?

Did some digging here and can't seem to find them!  I'm 95% positive i have at least one relay w/ an issue.  (headlights are always on - but very very dim) - dash blue high beams doesn't come one when brights on (only left side bright works)... etc.

got a pair of relays last night and trying to find where to swap them to test.  Pulled the panel under steering wheel.  Pulled fuse box and looked behind (what i found for a Loyale thread from 08 searching).  I'm kinda a big guy so need to squeeze myself under there a bit more. 

Trying not to drive at night until this is fixed - my blinkers seem brighter than my headlights currently.  That sucks going down the road!

Appreciate any help locating these!!!

rob

Thanks JesZek.  I got the ND equivalents from your thread.  Very helpful step by step to upgrade those relays!

I'm hoping that i just missed seeing them last night and will try again today or tomorrow.  I am trying an OEM equivalent relay (22A like stock) first, then if it has more problems i'm going to go to your bosch relay solution.  I'm ok soldering on the new plugs, but want to only do that if they continue to have problems.  If they last 10-20 years before failing again - i'm not going to reinvent the wheel.

Most descriptions i've seen also mentions the A/C relay - which my DL doesn't have, so wasn't sure if that makes a difference on my base model to find the relays.  Again - i'll dig in and take a look up above the fuse holder to see if i can spot them.  Might pull my seat so i can get in there easier.  I'm a tall guy so it's a tight fit.

• Like 1

You're Welcome!

... i'll dig in and take a look up above the fuse holder to see if i can spot them.  Might pull my seat so i can get in there easier.  I'm a tall guy so it's a tight fit.

Is easier if you remove all the the Plastic covers from under the Dash,

and also remove the whole Fuse Panel and Look Up, above.

The Simple Relay Swap could be good idea, if:

• The ND Relays does have the Imput / output Lines in the Same Places than the Subaru original Relays.
  • The base where the Relay does plug, isn't burned due to heat / age \ false contacts.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

There's a group of 4 of them up there.  You want the 2 with the black connectors.  (green is fuel pump, Blue is Heater blower)

Black/White wires are the 12v in from Fusible link.

Large Black wire is IG. switched 12v

Small black wires are ground

Black/red wire goes to fuse 6(running lights) and fuse 7(left headlight)

Black/yellow wire goes to the fuse 8(right headlight) and the highbeam light.

I'm guessing the problem is with the Right relay or fuse 8

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gloyale and JesZeK!  I wasn't able to pull the whole clamp/relay holder down, but did get to them while in place.  Swapped the Left side (driver) in place - no change.  I'll make sure i swapped the right one w/ Gloyal's color connector detail (super helpful) and try again.  I have 2 new relays from Napa to swap in if needed.  Lights still dim and always on.  Brights are only left side (but are bright!).  So lame/frustrating!

With your help i'll sort it out.  Thanks a lot!

Dim and always on?

Hmm......something isn't right.  They should go off with key.

Seems like someone nust have messed with something in the circuit.  Check for signs that the headlight connectors ahve been molested.  Perhaps someone had HID lights in there.....which sometimes the controller gets grounded directly.

sorry, they are always on when ignition is on.  They shut off when car is off.  but no driving without them super dim.  Then headlights on - still dim.  Brights then just go the 2 left (driver side) bulbs - right side go completely off (not dim).

I do have swappable h4 bulbs and conversion lenses - into stock wire/plugs (no spliced wires).

Car is super stock w/ less than 30k on it.  I got it w/ 12'ish a couple years ago and sold it to my neice for about a year at 20k now at 29,xxx.  Up till now no major issues (except she killed/toasted the clutch learning stick).  Wonky dash gauges (just temp and fuel) which hopefully will be fixed when i re-seat the cluster (changing out burnt blinker bulb and swapping to LED's in the cluster).

Any of that make a difference?

Thanks!

Rob

Dumb question but have you verified bulbs work with power straight to them?

Red wire at the RH lights, and Red/blue wire at the LH bulbs should be 12v pos.  Other pins are ground for Hi/lo

Also....have you checked fuses?

not dumb - I checked fuses, but will recheck when in there next.  All lights work, just dim.  Throwing on the brights, the right side shut off totally (finally not dim), and the left both go full bright.

Will put the cluster back in tonight/tomorrow/this weekend, and dig into the remaining relays to see if i can fix.

Thx man!

That only makes sense if you Swapped only one of the two Headlamps' Relays... In the above posted Link to my Relays' writeup, I Explain that the two relays, beside both headlamps, they also controls: One the High Beam indicator and the other one, the Dashboard Lights.

Does your subie has any issues with those?

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo