Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dry Sump on a 2.5L?

torxxx

Just wondering if anyones done it?   Seeing how the oil pan ends up being one of the lower points of the engine I'm wondering if a dry sump oil system would work?   It would also raise the capacity of the oiling system and eliminate aeration of the oil..

The commercial units are pretty spendy (as in, more than I have ever paid for a car).  I have been considering something much more shade-tree:  Use the existing oil pump as the scavenge pump and using a power steering pump (or similar) as the pressure pump.

The commercial units are pretty spendy (as in, more than I have ever paid for a car).  I have been considering something much more shade-tree:  Use the existing oil pump as the scavenge pump and using a power steering pump (or similar) as the pressure pump.

why not use the factory oil pump as the high pressure then get a single stage scavenge pump.Then just mount the oil tank higher than the factory oil pump and have it gravity feed into the inlet of the factory oil pump.A power steering pump is high pressure but at low volume so it wouldn't really work well.

The reason to use the stock pump as scavenger is because it already does that without any extra work.  Just run a remote filter adapter (really cheap at Amazon.com) to your tank, and from the tank to the external pump.  Lots of things to consider and check to make it work, but that goes without saying.

I don't recall the flow specs on an EJ, but the PS pump puts out around twice the flow rate as an EA82 oil pump.  And greater flow rate pumps are as close as your auto dismantler.

I shortened the oil pan on the EJ25 in my Vanagon by about 1.5" and put 1/8" steel plate on the bottom.  There is also Smallcar, Outfront, Kennedy, Rocky Mountain Westy, and Burley Motorsports who make shortened pans, with varying capacities.

Edited by presslab