Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6pack for help w/ weber conversion on ea81

see my build thread here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/137408-weber-carb-on-an-ea81-in-a-subaru-standard/

so I got a new ea81, a weber carb and all the other pieces. got the correct adapter plate. put the hitatchi throttle cable stay on the weber carb. got a manual choke pull. cleaned the carb and all seems to be functioning. it came off of a small 4-cyl datsun truck.

but I can't figure out how to run the throttle cable. it makes no sense. I got this little $25 adapter piece from carbs unlimited in auburn, but no clue where it goes to make the cable work. plus a few other tiny issues I'd like to get sorted out.

I'll trade beer and some cash for someone to come show me what's up and get the thing running. I've got a garage and all the tools... but I normally work on MUCH smaller engines (vintage vespas), so all of this is very foreign to me.

I'm free this weekend -- preferably sunday afternoon (june 2nd 2013)

I might be able to help you this weekend, but definitely at some point later in the week. Your probably gonna need new jets if it was on a datsun, but we should be able to get you running good to OKish. I'm good with Webers, but if your jets are out, it'll never run completely right. I can show you my SPFI EA81 in my 90 loyale too if your still thinking about EFI down the road. PM me your number if Caboobaroo is too busy moving or you guys don't get it done this weekend.

Josh

SPFI sounds great but I don't know about all that re-wiring and stuff. I hardly drive as it is (it's been sitting for 6+ months) so having a carbureted car isn't that big of a deal. plus my other vehicles are all the same way... I think they work great so long as you don't plan on driving up any mountains and don't mind letting the car warm up.

haven't received texts back from anyone yet... no rush, it's in my garage, but it can't stay in there forever as I technically only rent 1/2 of the garage...

beer + pizza + money? to the first person to offer help! I just don't know where things go...

MrIR0Mll.jpg

If you still don't have it going  tomorrow.. I will see what I can do.  I am not (Good with webers) but I did do my own and it isn't really that bad.. Only a few things that stumped me and that was just me making more difficult than necessary.  I do not have the linkage kit though for the throttle.  I think yours mounts to the weber filter plate bolts.  Mine was a modified factory bracket that I straightened and moved over a little.

I was able to bolt some things up (engine to transmission) but I need intake gaskets and a few other things, missing some bolts as well

I think I can fabricate a bracket for the throttle cable. turns out the little adapter I bought is for the choke.

zv3lnbLl.jpg

Just got home from Saturn's garage and we were able to get a few the done.

Come to find out this is an '86 standard with an EA71 and the feedback carburetor... It's been quite a few years since I've worked on one and looking to find out how to delete it all, from the ECU to the charcoal canister and such. Does anyone have some info on getting rid of it and what other issues might arise from ripping it out.

you unplug the ecu. leave the canister in. I ran the out line of the canister, the one that went to the base of the carb into my intake manifold to keep the smog inspectors happy. I used a port at the back of the carb base that was originally for an anti- deisel valve on a 1980 model. That port may not even exist on later manifolds as the ADV changed or disappeared later on. you can just cap the canister line and it will run fine if you just want to tune the car get it running and deal with the details later.