Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Brat AC/Heater Fan Issue

AC HELP!! 1st post~ Purchased 86 Brat 1 month ago, loving it,  but have a problem that came up a couple days ago~ AC/Heater fan quit working, no speeds work, and no warning signs beforehand. Research thus far showing most likely candidates are the fan relay and and a resistor. Would you agree? Although the location of the relay is unclear ~either under the dash mounted right near the blower motor, or under the hood near the ignition coil (?) Purchased  a new relay, but it doesn't match any of the parts in either of these areas. Attaching a few photos to show where I've been looking. I think the parts store may have given me the wrong relay. Please take a look at the photos and let me know if I'm on track at all (!?)

Much thanks in advance~

Bratmobile

post-48032-0-05933600-1370059018_thumb.jpg

post-48032-0-27532900-1370059038_thumb.jpg

post-48032-0-76001000-1370059062_thumb.jpg

It could also be the fan brushes. I had that happen on a wagon of mine Mcguyvered it for over a month because I didn't have 5 bucks to spend on the part. When I finally got the money, I ran to pick one up, only to find they were 15 cents.

They are not the funnest to get to.

Edited by Godsmulligan

Resistor fails you should still have 4th speed. Try looking on the right hand passenger kick panel and there is a pigtail for the fan itself. Jump it out to another 12v battery to make sure the fan works. I found my switch had been disconnected under the dash when I was working to try and find an electrical short. Try to trace the hot wire to the switch that runs under the dash on the driver's side. It plugs together and could have become unplugged!!

No speeds at all on the fan, even high/4th position. I'll try digging in the dash to see what I can find. Hoping the solution is that simple. Might be a pain to get to, but less $ on parts. Thanks for the advice~

Also, from what I understand there is a fan resistor & a fan relay. Is the relay a possible cause? if it is, then do you know the relay location? You can view the photos I took from the 1st post.

Thanks in advance.

bratman2....fights crime & still finds time to help work on the Bratmobile~

• 1 month later...