Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post on the site and I have  a question about my 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5.

My car has 125,000 miles and I took it into subaru to get routine maintenance. Of course they told me a few things I should fix on my car, one of which was a leaking valve cover gasket. Before I took it in I also noticed that my car has been making a noisy ticking sound. I believe that the ticking sound has always been there but seems to be louder than in the past. When I talked to the Subaru Tech he told me that there wasn't much he could do unless I wanted to spend 1K plus trying to tinker with the valvles to figure out what the problem was. The service writer told me it wasn't a big deal and I went on my way.

Although I would love to just believe that there is nothing wrong with my car, I would like to see if there is anyone out there that can give me a little more information on this subject. I have read that a "Ticking" noise from Subaru's is quite common but the causes can vary. Below are two links of my car with the engine running. If anyone can provide help, it would be very much appreciated!

Videos

Sounds like a fauly hydraulic valve lifters to me. If it is it's not a big deal but very annoying and ofcourse it means losing some power because of the lifters are not working correctly. BUT I don't even know that does that engine have hydraulic valve lifters :) It just sounds exactly like the tick of dead in the older subarus altought your engine does not even sound bad yet.

Edited by -tombba-

Thank you for the reply, after asking around a bit your suggestion as to the issue seems to be the most common response I am getting.

I am however having trouble understanding the actual severity of this issue? I heard that it would easily cost 1k+ In a reputable shop to fix but I'm not even sure if its worth doing? I guess the question I'm trying to find out is if the issue *is* the valve lifters will I end up having more severe car issues in the near future based on not fixing it?

Thanks