Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Outback EJ25 to EJ22...4 wire MAP sensor issues...help!

El Presidente

I have a '90 EJ22 I'm trying to drop into a 2001 Outback wagon that has an EJ25 in it. I've got an EJ22 intake from a '98 I was going to put on the '90 long block and use the EJ25 intake wire harness and sensors to make it work...but..the MAP sensor has become a sticking point and to further compound the issue, its a 4 wire sensor, which I'm finding little info on. I have found that its a combo MAP/Intake Temp sensor that mount directly to the intake, but I'm not finding any info on how I can make this work. I have a remote 3 wire Map for an EJ22, but I'm not seeing how I can put it on the EJ25 intake harness. Please help!!

I know about the issue with the EGR and I also know I have a couple different options to deal with that. I also have a set of heads for a '98 EJ22 I thought about putting on the '90 block....Is anything I'm trying to do going to work at all???? I read the compression will drop from running phase 2 heads on a phase one block...any input there??

I thought I did my homework before starting this project, but apparently not :banghead:

Josh

98 intake is still phase I.  If it's a Phase II it won't physically bolt to the 90 EJ22.

Here is what you can do. 

You need to use your 2001, EJ25 intake wiring harness.  You will need to bolt the EJ25 throttle body onto the EJ22 intake.  You need to make a thin plate using the throttle body gasket as a template....the plate need to be big enough to block off the port at the top of the EJ25 throttle body. Bolt that in sandwhiched between the TB and intake.

You will probably need to splice the Injector connectors from the 2.2 to match the 2.2 injectors.

Not sure about the MAP issue. Iis it in the intake or in the plenum or plumbed with a vac hose? Pics?

This swap can be done.

you're pretty much hosed with block/head/intake swapping - none of that parts swapping is going to help, none of it is Phase II which is your issue - you're trying to swap between Phase I and Phase II.  follow Gloyale's lead on this one, he's one of few that is familiar with it.

9If it's a Phase II it won't physically bolt to the 90 EJ22.

he can't bolt the 2001 heads to the EJ22 block?  i've bolted phase II EJ25 heads to Phase I EJ25 blocks.....and i'm pretty sure folks have bolted EJ25 heads to EJ22 blocks.

the easiest solution, if it's possible is to swap the 2001 heads onto the EJ22 block if it's possible.  i've done the same swap but with 2001 heads on an earlier EJ25 Phase I block, not an EJ22.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Thanks for the advice about the plate between the thottle body and the intake too. I need to keep the Outback running for as long as possible, so I haven't had a chance to pop the 2.5 apart. I don't mined splicing injector connectors, but was really hoping to keep all the wiring intact...would it be worth it to use the 2.5 injectors in the 2.2 manifold?

Ok, so the '98 2.2 heads will fit on the '90 block with the '98 intake...will I have compression issues with this combination, or will it be about the same? This car is for my mom, so I don't want a frankenmotor situation that requires premium only.

I don't think I want to use the 2.5 heads at all. The whole reason for this build is because the HG were just done on the EJ251 and it is doing the typical external coolant leak again, so the plan is to replace it with a MUCH more reliable 2.2. The weak point of the EJ25 is the heads right??

The MAP sensor issue...

The part number is - bosch #0261230013

Its located on top of the intake, just to the drivers side of the coil pack, which is off-set to the pass. side to make room for the sensor. It doesn't have any vacuum hoses. It has two small bolts holding it directly to the intake plenum and I can only imagine something goes into the air stream at that point. I can't find a listing for it at Rock Auto or Oriellys online, just the 3 wire Map sensors :confused: . When I google the part number I get plenty of listings for it and it shows it as a 4 wire unit. I can get some pictures of it in the Outback if that helps. I do have a remote MAP sensor for the 98 EJ22 intake i was hoping to use..

Theres a small picture here of what the outback MAP sensor looks like: http://www.justanswer.com/subaru/6h66y-subaru-outback-carguy1-i-reading-conversation.html

Thanks again for the input

Josh

Ej251 with turbo ej25 head gaskets equals problem solved.  This isn't an ej25d, so honestly you're going to a lot of trouble for nothing.

You have my attention.. If a HG change is all I need to have a reliable motor, I'm doing that. I was under the impression that the ej251 was just like the ej25d, the only difference is that the 25d leaks internally all the time and the 251 leaks externally all the time. When my mom bought the car, she was told the headgaskets were just done before she got it and a couple months after driving it around, it started throwing a code of a missfire on cylinder #3 or 4(cant remember) and it would randomly leave puddles of coolant. Now it is really gutless, consistantly leaks coolant and runs like crap...its just getting worse. I did confirm that the gaskets were changed, but maybe it was a half-assed job. I can't find the exact spot it its leaking, but it does appear to be where the head and block meet.

Which turbo ej2.5 HG's do I use? Part #'s? If I'm not mistaken the ej251 is a SOHC motor and all the turbo 2.5's were DOHC. Will the HG's still swap? Can someone confirm this? has anyone done this?

I tried searching around the forum, but it seems harder to find what your looking for since the server change

Josh

Yeah, the new search is kind of a pain in the butt.  I've seen it here numerous times. I can't seem to find it either at the moment.  See if you can find some posts by General Disorder.  He has put it out there many times with part number for the gaskets.