Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny gurus, I have a question.

I have to r&r the tranny in my dads 91 Legacy wagon. Its an automatic. Yesterday I pulled an auto tranny from a 90 legacy sedan and when I got it home I noticed the diff dipstick on the 90 tranny was taller than the 91 tranny. So my question is, what are the differences between these two trannys, and is it a direct swap? Both trannys have a rear gear ratio of 4.111. Thanks guys.

When pulling the tranny, are you supposed to remove the torque converter at the same time? I've never pulled an auto before. I got the tranny out last night, but the input shaft is still sticking out of the tc. The tranny I pulled from the junk yard came out easy.

Yes you should remove the torque converter with the transmission.

Search here for how to properly seat the torque converter (there is a good thread with pictures somewhere on this forum) before trying to install the transmission. You need to get the converter seated properly first, otherwise it will damage the fluid pump in the transmission, and your "new" trans will be a boat anchor.

Also do not drop the converter when removing it from the flex plate! It is only partially supported by the pilot stub in the center.

Edited by Fairtax4me

I got the input shaft out of the tc, but I cant get it to seat in the tranny. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've been reading this thread http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/79130-how-to-seat-your-torque-converter-by-mnwolftrack/page-2?hl=%20torque%20%20converter over and over again for the last 2 hours and can't get the tc past the first stop. What's goin on here?

take it back out try the shaft in the torque make shure will go in off the trans also is shaft right way round ? check closly all splines for damge check sealing rings close for damge you could try install without shaft in trans just to see whats hanging up check the spline one fixed stator spline easy to damge the splines Try and figure out what part of its hanging up

Yeah, everything looked good, I think it might be something in the tc itself. Friday I'm gonna go get the tc from the donor car and see if that will work. If not, ill return that tranny and pull another one. The right way this time though.