Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 Subaru GL-10 Turbo 1.8L 2wd Sedan, 66,735 Miles

I just bought my first subaru, It is a 1988 Subaru GL-10 Turbo 1.8L 2wd Sedan, I would like to start doing some small modifications to the car, and slowly build the car up. I have enough stock parts to build this car over a total of 4 times (minus complete motors, transmissions, and shells, I have extra body panels and a ton of etc parts)

Basically i was wondering for first of on this list of mods:

5 Lug conversion

Lowered suspention

Blow off valve

Front mount intercooler

adjustable boost controller w/ boost gauge

catback exhaust

anything to add some small horsepower without breaking the bank too badly, or to make the car more reliable.

please if somebody could start me off in the right direction that would be great, i just finished all of the body work to the car, now i am eager to start modding!

Front mount/top mount. thats should be your first mod. the piping will be kinda annoying but its the best thing you can do for this motor.

double check then triple check your cooling system and replace every hose. cooling is a big issue on these. next, get a td04 turbo. the little turbo these have is  very restrictive.

I recomend getting the TD04 with a top mount off a wrx/ that way you get a bigger turbo, the piping is easy for the IC and you get a built in BOV. then use the exhaust off the Td04 car 3 birds with one stone.

you will have to modify your up pipe to use the TD04, and cut a hole for a hood scoop. there was a custom up pipe in the for sale section that would work.

You dont want to add more boost, you will just end up blowing the heads. there Isn't much you can do with that motor to make. more power.

Even the rally team in the late 80's only had 200hp from the ea82t. and they were not known to last long/

If you do decide to add more boost, you will need to address the fuel system, and that means new pump, injectors and fpr. the stock system will only support about 12lbs of boost and not very well. 

As far as lowering is concerned, get a cheap set of coil over sleeves for an older honda, they should work though I dont know the specifics. As i tend to lift instead of lower.

As far as the 5 lug swap is concerned, dont do it, send your hubs to SJRLIFT.com and have him machine them to a 4x100 pattern. much easier, and rims will be plentiful

Edited by AKghandi

First thing is first,like AKGhandi said, make sure you have it running like a swiss watch before you start going for "slightly" more power.  I've owned mine for over six months now and it's only finally running well enough (after months of tinkering) now that I'd consider an intercooler/exhaust.  Other than those two mods (and a few other minor things), I wouldn't touch it.  As then it will probably explode and that's no fun.  But a good running stock(ish) EA82T is fun!

first thing has got to be spending some time on the stock cooling system and fuel system.  make sure that they are both running top notch.  if you run it lean or hot it will be done for

if your going to do anything related to boost, then install an exhaust temp gauge.  this will let you know if your pushing the motor limits and running too lean.

an intercooler is good, as is a bit more exhaust flow.  neither will cause problems.  the only other engine mod I would really consider is sending the cams off to Delta Cams and have them reground to a more performance spec.  that will be the most bang for your buck and will not kill anything.  as said earlier if you do decide to work to increase the boost, keep it light (10-12 max) and upgrade the fuel system first or you will detonate it running lean.

Id lean towords sending off your hubs to be drilled rather than a 5 lug conversion.  the conversion is a pretty substantial undertaking and you will end up with hybrid parts that you have to modify before they will fit.

don't we want to be using a diverter valve instead of a BOV?   these engines run with a mass air flow sensor, wouldnt releasing metered air into the atmosphere effect the performance?    also, on any car you start messing with boost, i recommend one of these:  http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

they're super easy to install and crazy accurate. 

In my opinion the 5-lug swap is the way to go with these cars.  You can use Impreza/legacy stuff up front, and have the benifit of all the aftermarket parts that go with them. Camber adjustments alone is worth considering that route.  The rear for them is fairly simple, find a fwd XT6, or some one with the rear hubs and backing plates (shameless plug I have them...)

Focus on the suspension swaps and the stance. If you convert to 4wd, the original 2wd rear struts will raise the back as they are longer because the strut perch on the control arm is lower on the 2wd.

You can find FWD xt6 parts if you wish to keep it FWD for simplicity.

don't we want to be using a diverter valve instead of a BOV?   these engines run with a mass air flow sensor, wouldnt releasing metered air into the atmosphere effect the performance?    also, on any car you start messing with boost, i recommend one of these:  http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

they're super easy to install and crazy accurate. 

If he relocates the maf after the IC before the TB he wouldn't have any issues and the ECU would get more accurate readings