Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What does it cost you to run your car where you are?

Stumbled on a statement about the price of gas before, and it got me thinking that we have a lot of people from different places around the world on here who pay to run Subarus.  I was interested to see what sort of safety checks, registration, insurance, and fuel prices everyone has to pay to run their cars in the various countries we all reside in.  I'll start I guess...

95 Octane petrol in NZ is currently $2.19NZD per litre.

Costs me $50 for a Warrant of Fitness (safety check) every 6 months.

Costs me $280 a year for Registration.

Costs me $12 month for third party insurance.

What do you guys have to pay for?

Might have to do a bit of miles/kilometres litre/gallon USD/NZD calcs here...

Well, youve got cheaper rego, ours is pushing 800 bucks by the time you pay for the compulsary third party insurance,

98 octane petrol is 1.70 a litre

we have a safety check every year, about 40 bucks, no emissions though.

Hmm last time I was using my subaru leone turbo -88

-Insurance around 350€ a year (around 460$)

-Taxes 96€ a year (around 125$)

-safety check with emission test every year 75€ (around 98$)

-98 octane fuel around 1.7€/litre

So to sum it up it's 683$ just to keep it in register in here (altought if it's taken off the streets no insurance is payed)

I'm in a 97 legacy, but the pricing is still relavent for my state.  At least the area I live in the state.  The 87 ocatane is currently $3.22 USD per gallon, yearly state inspection is $16, my county requires a $10 decal to signify you've paid property taxes on the vehicle which for the legacy yearly taxes are about $50.  Insurance runs me about $40 a month for limited coverage. 

Costs me $250/year to insure my GL.

Costs me $80/year to register my GL

Gas is $3.55 or so here, and now it's going up again...

Inspection is $12.50/year. But I only do mine every now and again. I forget, it's currently 4 months over. Oops, it's a $133 fine. Unless you get it done the next day and take it to court. The judge says go away. Still a waste of time.

It costs me about 20-25 bucks per day to have my car doing my pizza job.

$4.00/gallon for fuel, usually costs 10 bucks per day. Car gets about 20 mpg all around, 50-75 and sometimes 100($15 in fuel)miles in a day

106.00 per month for insurance. about to go down since the last tickets on my driving record drop off this and next month

a quart of brake fluid once a month due to leaky ABS module, oil and trans fluid now and again

95 bucks per year on registration

night parking sticker $50 bucks for annual. So yeah i have 6 cars parked off street, but the 7th one has to park on the street.

spread this cost average out over 3 cars, 2 drivers. 

Regular gas $3.77 per gallon 19 mile drive to work one way at 26 mpg (my 80) it costs around 27.52 a week to get to work

Registration $34 a year (for my 80 or 90)

Insurance $80 a month

That's it aside from oil changes and parts costs

Edited by mikaleda

you guys got all that memorized...i'm going to have to guess on some...

$50/month insurance

$12.50 a year inspection

$35 (i think) registration

$50 a year in property tax, at most.

my insurance coverage is way above the minimum though - the minimum insurance required if you "buy insurance" is only $25,000 coverage in my state, which is worthless to me.  if i damage $25,000 worth of someones stuff or someone sued me for $25,000 it would be annoying but i'd manage.  if someone sues me for $250,000 that's a big deal.  so i ask for and pay for higher insurance coverage way over the minimum amounts, it's not even that expensive. i've had two friends (one of which is a member here) get sued for 6 digits and taken to court for expenses over and above their mimimum insurance coverage - all of a sudden your job, pay, home, family are in jeopardy.

Because the Norwegian Krone is strong in the international market, I think I will have the highest cost of running my 85 GL recalculated i USD  ;)

About 1500$ for insurance a year

About 480$  in taxes a year

About 100$ for inspection every second year

Gas is about 2.5$ a litre

Hmm, well, for my '90 Loyale and I:

About $180/month for insurance ($2160/year)

A $15 emission test every two years (after 2014, the car will be old enough to not require emissions testing)

About $50 for registration (new tabs) every year

Gas is about $3.75/gallon here

Everything is reasonable to me, except insurance. Insurance is high because I'm male, 17 years old, and the car has no safety features. Oddly enough, it's $30/month cheaper to insure me on our '99 Mustang GT, just because it has airbags, ABS, traction control (which I always turn off  ;)), and anti-theft. I believe my insurance is also above the minimum coverage legally required, so that adds to the price.

In 2020, my car will be 30 years old, which means I can get "collector plates." This means I don't have to pay for tabs each year, nor do I have to insure it (I still will though).

It's not required to insure an antique in WA? Damn.... wow. That would be a poor life choice haha.

That's crazy for insurance! I don't think I paid more than $1000/year when I was 17, also, my 00 outback is almost 3x the cost to insure than the 89 GL. Puzzle that one out...

Nope. I mean, you can insure it, but you don't have to. On the DMV's website, it says that, "You can't drive a collector vehicle for regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle." So you can't use it as a daily driver, but who's gonna know? With the collector plates, you can go to car shows, circuses, parades, displays, and antique car club meetings though (imagine an EA81 or EA82 in a circus or parade, haha).

Insurance is weird, but whatever. My insurance rates will go down when I turn 19, 21, 25, and when I get married. Wish I could get a discount for having a dash cam, but Allstate says no.  <_< My "dash cam buddy" is 16 years old, and he pays ~$240/month to insure his '92 Ford Taurus GL, and he gets a $15 discount for having a dash cam.

Thinking about it, the reason your Outback costs more to insure is probably because they're stolen more often (not a lot, but more often). Three times the amount to insure it is a little high, but think about it: If you were going to steal a car, and you saw a GL and an Outback, which would you break into? The Cadillac Esclade is really expensive to insure primarily because of the theft rate.

Edited by jj421

Well lets see, 87 gl-10 turbo wagon. when I deliver I pay about $25 in gas for roughly 100 miles a day.( i flog the absolute crap out of it.) so thats about 18 mpg but driven lightly i can get 20+mpg.

$250 every 2 years for tags

$150 a month for insurance. which will get lower, eventually. hopefully.. the normal adult here pays about $50 a month

then theres the oil, 2 quarts a month, so $10.

looking at all the numbers from you guys it seems its much cheaper here in AK, in this respect anyways.

Edited by AKghandi

I use about 12 gallons a week.  gas is around $3.75 US for regular 87 octane (thought Im currently trying out unblended 92 that we have at a local pump).  thats $45 a week, or $180.  converted its right around $1 us per liter here.

no emissions where Im at, and the car is too old to need it in my state anyway

$45 per year registration

$87 per month for insurance (liability only but with max protection for property at personal injury, I think its just over 100k for each)

$3.99 a week for oil, though its wrapped up in oil changes since I pay to have someone do it.  with as much as mine leaks its a savings since they will fill it whenever I bring it by.

when you register for collector plates they will record the mileage.  even though you dont have to pay for tabs they will require you to log the mileage and get new stickers, permits, or whatever else they use now.  if your putting 12k miles on your collector they will revoke it or charge you  its a common scam, they are onto it, at least in the vancouver area.

Nope. I mean, you can insure it, but you don't have to. On the DMV's website, it says that, "You can't drive a collector vehicle for regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle." So you can't use it as a daily driver, but who's gonna know? With the collector plates, you can go to car shows, circuses, parades, displays, and antique car club meetings though (imagine an EA81 or EA82 in a circus or parade, haha).

Insurance is weird, but whatever. My insurance rates will go down when I turn 19, 21, 25, and when I get married. Wish I could get a discount for having a dash cam, but Allstate says no.  <_< My "dash cam buddy" is 16 years old, and he pays ~$240/month to insure his '92 Ford Taurus GL, and he gets a $15 discount for having a dash cam.

Thinking about it, the reason your Outback costs more to insure is probably because they're stolen more often (not a lot, but more often). Three times the amount to insure it is a little high, but think about it: If you were going to steal a car, and you saw a GL and an Outback, which would you break into? The Cadillac Esclade is really expensive to insure primarily because of the theft rate.

Here is what the DOL says about insurance...

LINK

Horseless Carriage is the the only vehicle other than state owned, self-insured companies/persons or motorcycle type vehicles that do not require insurance but the RCW that they cite says nothing about an insurance exemption.

you are lucky I had a 5.0 Mustang straight out of high school and I was paying $350/month for insurance 15 years ago.

back on topic,

$2 per month for insurance (that is what it costs in addition to my other vehicle)

$65 per week for fuel

$50 per year for registration

No emission (smog) out where I live

overall cheap to operate, but I have paid my fair share of high costs to drive what I wanted to when I was younger.

Here in interior Alaska:

Gas - $3.94/gal

Insurance - $1400/year

Registration/Tags - $110 every two years

No Emissions testing or safety inspection

Hey nice to see another alaskan on here, thats 4 that i know of. hows the weather up there?

No safety inspections in Alaska... Some poor other bugger has to pay to park his own car on the street overnight, and some of you use fuel that's only 87 Octane! Man we have it good here. Although i always do, it is not compulsory to have insurance here either! How interesting! Thanks for your input guys. When i get home tonight Will do some currency and litre to US gallon calcs.

your currency is about 20% higher value than ours (US), 3.78 liters in a gallon (i think).

standard gas selection here is 87, 89, 92 octane rating.  pretty much every station has them all.  tbh our cars dont really need higher unless you jack with the timing.

is your gas blended there?  here its mixed with other compounds and alcohols.