Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have a major question that might get me flammed off the site...

1988turbo

Hello, I am in the middle of an engine swap to a 2004 STI 6 SPD motor. If anyone could supply me with *a list* all of the parts I will need that would be great. Ohh and FYI, the motor is going into a 1988 Saab 900 Turbo... Thanks in advance!

Edited by 1988turbo

You know what, it might be easier to get a subaru, but I want to be unique. Plus I was only wanting a list of Parts I will need such as diffs and what not. But anyways Thanks for the support to the very few that are supporting me! =)

We love wierd projects. You are doing something no one else is, so short of a parts car not sure what to say. Mechnically it is just fabrication, the real question is the fuel mgmt.

Edited by nipper

We love wierd projects. You are doing something no one else is, so short of a parts car not sure what to say. Mechnically it is just fabrication, the real question is the fuel mgmt.

I respect that. Once I get it done, I will probably be done with doing a project car for a few years! Haha, but anyways, I am looking at a V8 sti motor. Never knew Subaru made a v8 sti motor... Saw it on a JDM specialty site.

Sorry man - couldnt resist the jab...but seriously...

Getting your hands on an entire parts car would probably be the best way to go - possibly one that has been rear-ended or maybe even T-boned, so motor, trans, etc are still in good condition and you have pretty much everything you would need - from drivetrain, to electronics.

Figuring out the electrical end of things is gonna be the "fun" part, for sure.

Good Luck! :)

• Like 1

Thats not a V-8 engine, thats a sti version-8 motor. Subaru has never done an 8 cyl, just 3, 4, and 6

There was an exerimental 12cyl in a race car in the 80's

Slow, unreliable......never finsished a race if IIRC.....subaru FTL!!!....wait, that's not right.

• Like 1

To keep it FWD you'll want a spool made for the center diff and a cover for the tail shaft. There is a company that makes both for custom jobs such as this. I forget the name offhand, but shouldn't be too hard to find. They do a lot of VW stuff, even reverse cut R&P gears.

Honestly I think it would be easier to build the Saab motor and put a huge turbo on it (they can hold up to quite a lot of abuse), but I'm always interested to see what people can manage to stuff a Subaru engine into.

You'll have to build a subframe to mount the engine and trans though, and you may have to cut out a bit larger tunnel in the Saab floor pan so the trans will have room to sit.

Saabs strange oddness has the transmission placed entirely under the engine in those years (as I'm sure you know).

Good news is it will be MUCH easier to change the accessory and timing belts when you're done.

• Like 1

Nice Project!

I've Seen Subaru EJ Engine Swaps in many Non-Subaru Cars...

caddyeng11.jpg

... Thats not a V-8 engine, thats a sti version-8 motor. Subaru has never done an 8 cyl, just 3, 4, and 6

Remember the 2 Cyl engines from the Subaru Rex, Sambar, etc? ... 

sherpaenginecompartment.jpg

... and yes, the Flat Twelve:

subaruflat12.gif

... One of those was Sold on e-Bay some years ago ...

If he want to Keep the Saab as Front Wheel Drive only,

an easier and Cheapier solution is to Use the EJ Gearbox from an Early Legacy

that came Factory as FWD only.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah the belts are a pain in the rump roast to change! So I will be much more extatic to change the belts after the swap. I am going to go ahead with the AWD conversion due to the fact that I don't want to spin off of the line when I take it out for a nice light to light exchange. I have actually researched on what all you can do to a 88 Saab motor, and you can't throw a big turbo on it, but you can go slightly larger in size. I was running 17psi with everything being stock.

• Like 1