Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well I found another project EJ22.

It's a 1999 "L"  with manf. date of 10/98 so it's the interference engine. It has a knock I haven't figured out yet and has been parked for a couple years, but for two hundred bucks cash I thought it was worth it. And with an odometer that says only 38 thousand miles!!! I figured I better get it. It starts and drives and stops too. Washington's 3 day trip permit almost cost as much as I paid for the car. Actually just thirty dollars for that. Even with the knock I still feel like a kid on Christmas morning. Its a good feeling.

post-28702-0-02388400-1370667141_thumb.jpg

post-28702-0-11115200-1370667166_thumb.jpg

I got it half way home today but it started knocking worse and then lost power and died. Lucky for me Triple AAA came to my rescue and hauled me the last two or three miles with a ramp truck. I finally noticed a faded sticker on the door jamb that says a new speedometer was installed at 97352 miles back in 2007. So much for my thinking that I had a low miles Subaru? Looks nice after I washed it though. It says Legacy "L" on the rear hatch. Maybe I just lost a rocker assembly on one side? Thats the best case scenario. I can't wait to see what all the clacking and banging was about. Its on my 2-doo list anyhow.

post-28702-0-94824600-1370756214_thumb.jpg

post-28702-0-78219100-1370756280_thumb.jpg

1> 99 was an anniversary year, there were very few plain ''L'' cars made and sold. most were special for the 30th year celebration and had sun roof, power antenna and other upgrades for free? although with a 10/98 build date, this may have the options without the anniversary badge.

from cars101.com:

The Legacy L is available in a 30th Anniversary
model with standard height adjustable driver's seat, electric sunroof,
15" alloy wheels, roof rack (wagon) rear spoiler (sedan), power antenna,
color co-ordinated door handles and bodyside moldings, and the 30th Anniversary
badge by the left front wheel well.

All this for a net price increase of only
$1000. over a non- 30th Ann. model, after a package dicount of $1000. A
non-3oth L is a special order (at least here in the NW) and I have only
seen one all year!

2> the 99 is a phase 2 engine, so swap in either a sohc ej25, or use an ej22 block from 90 - 98 and your current heads.

3> a 99 with 135k miles is still low in my opinion. but since the engine is bad, you can install any low mileage engine you want.

Edited by johnceggleston

So phase 1 are DOHC and phase 2 are SOHC?

No, it is not a DOHC/SOHC difference. The difference has to do with OBD 1, the later models use OBD 2. That is the system that provides codes when the check engine light comes on. OBD 2 started with the 1995 model year. It is a much more thorough system for advising the driver that there is an engine problem, mostly advising of higher then normal air polution from the motor.

no, it's a complete engine redesign they did with the 99 ej22, not only is it the engine itself, it's the electronics that run it. All ej22s that we got here were sohc. But the 99 legacy ej22 is as different from the older ones as the phase 2 ej25 is.

And OBD1 stopped in 94. A few 95 models may have had it, but that's it. So that's the not the difference between phases. As said above, they redesigned the EJ22 in 99 and that's when the phase 2 came out. Although I do think some 98's had the change as well.

Had to laugh to see your car parked next to a "honey dipper" truck. Should you ever advertise on the internet in the future to sell the car, I wouldn't use that photo.

Nice looking car, is the interior as nice as the exterior??

Had to laugh to see your car parked next to a "honey dipper" truck. Should you ever advertise on the internet in the future to sell the car, I wouldn't use that photo.

Nice looking car, is the interior as nice as the exterior??

Yes the interior is all there and has a nice sounding Pioneer am/fm cd player that works just fine. 

No, it is not a DOHC/SOHC difference. The difference has to do with OBD 1, the later models use OBD 2. That is the system that provides codes when the check engine light comes on. OBD 2 started with the 1995 model year. It is a much more thorough system for advising the driver that there is an engine problem, mostly advising of higher then normal air polution from the motor.

So phase 2 engines are the puppies that require OBD 2 code readers? I shall put that in my long term memory. Thanks

So phase 2 engines are the puppies that require OBD 2 code readers? I shall put that in my long term memory. Thanks

NO.  But you are trying and that's all that matters.

Phase 2 refers to the version of the engine.  In 1990 they came out with the EJ22 and they made that basic type of engine and head type from then up to about 1998 or so.  At that time they started using the newer engine called phase 2, which is the version they made from 1999 to about 2002 for the Ej22 and 1999 to about 2010 depending on the model of car for the 2.5.  

All it really equates to for you is that the bottom of the head has 1 exhaust port hole and the intake is of the phase 2 variety.  You can switch the front of the exhaust on the car to a dual port and put an Ej25 phase 2 or Ej251 engine in it, or you can source a used Ej22 of similar variety again made from 99-02 or so.  Can't go wrong with either but the Ej22 still sees less head gasket problems thru the entire life span....from 1990 to 2002 than the 2.5L engines.  You will have a little difficulty in finding a used one of these and many are knocking like yours around the 130-180K range.

Just be sure to save and use your intake manifold no matter what engine is swapped in so your engine computer and its sensors and devices all talk right.

NO.  But you are trying and that's all that matters.

Phase 2 refers to the version of the engine.  In 1990 they came out with the EJ22 and they made that basic type of engine and head type from then up to about 1998 or so.  At that time they started using the newer engine called phase 2, which is the version they made from 1999 to about 2002 for the Ej22 and 1999 to about 2010 depending on the model of car for the 2.5.  

All it really equates to for you is that the bottom of the head has 1 exhaust port hole and the intake is of the phase 2 variety.  You can switch the front of the exhaust on the car to a dual port and put an Ej25 phase 2 or Ej251 engine in it, or you can source a used Ej22 of similar variety again made from 99-02 or so.  Can't go wrong with either but the Ej22 still sees less head gasket problems thru the entire life span....from 1990 to 2002 than the 2.5L engines.  You will have a little difficulty in finding a used one of these and many are knocking like yours around the 130-180K range.

Just be sure to save and use your intake manifold no matter what engine is swapped in so your engine computer and its sensors and devices all talk right.

I still thing that OBD 2 was ushered in by Subaru starting in 1995. If not, then what was used in 1999??

And OBD1 stopped in 94. A few 95 models may have had it, but that's it. So that's the not the difference between phases. As said above, they redesigned the EJ22 in 99 and that's when the phase 2 came out. Although I do think some 98's had the change as well.

Technically speaking, while the 95s were more or less OBD2, they weren't fully compliant with that standard which was fine since the mandate to get to OBD2 started in 96.   But from an electroinics/diagnostics standpoint the 95s are a bit of strange beast.

I removed the passenger side head today and pushed down on #1 piston with my fingers. It went "clop" and slid down a quarter inch in its bore. I don't need to be a certified tech to know what that is. oh well. I'll be hunting for a shortblock shortly. Either that or lug it to a machine shop.

post-28702-0-03284700-1371364694_thumb.jpg