Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum as ya'll can see. My family has a couple of '96 Subaru's so I figured joining this forum would be a good idea.  So I've got a question.  

My 1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT has had some problems starting up after it's been running for awhile.  It never does this when it first starts, only after it has been run earlier and then stopped.  My dad and I just replaced the entire exhaust system and both cats, and got the check engine lights to come off that had been on since I got the car almost a year ago.  We've also pulled the motor and replaced the the rear main seal where it was leaking oil and put it back in time before putting it back in; however, it still has this occasional startup problem.  When it happens, I have to give it gas to turn it over and afterwards it putts and acts like it's going to die before it starts running normal again.  Could this be something to do with a vacuum line?  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.  

Thanks,

Dan

If it runs well otherwise,vacuum lines should be OK.

You might want to check the fuel pressure regulator line.

Sounds like a spark plug or 2 is fouling possibly from a leaky injector.

See if it holds fuel pressure after shutdown.

See what the coolant temp reads if you have a scanner.

Check the CTS connector for corrosion,

Yes and exact same problems I've been having for over a year.   Sadly, nothing has fixed or addressed my issues yet. Located on my post on this forum 95 Legacy Wagon - Starting Problems...yikes

I mentioned having similar problems and plenty of people have provide bunches of advice similar to naru above.   Naru is probably on target with the fuel pressure issues and I have Fuel Pump Tester on order that I plan to use and check my Fuel Sender unit and if it is varying the amount of fuel pressure depending if the engine is hot or otherwise.   I'll let you know what I find out from my 95 Legacy Wagon and hopefully find a resolution soon.  I'm hoping it is as easy as a Fuel Pump Replacement, but I'll have to wait and do some testing since I'm tired of buying new parts just to check and see if it makes improvements.  I may also try and snag the Fuel Pressure Regulator from U-Pull-It if it is still available since It may also be my problem and has never been replaced.

Sadly, I just finished replacing the computer with a 1996 U-Pull-It that did not help.  Also on my post, I mentioned replacing my temperature sensor and that also did not help.  The more I look into my problem...the more I'm thinking there is a short in the main Subaru CTS connector that travels just below the Manifold.   I'll end up having to pull the manifold and tubing and wires to verify this, but my problem only occurs when my motor gets hot and maybe happens when the wires begin to stretch sending the wrong signals to my injectors, vacuum, and otherwise.   Not sure, but would love to hear from you if you resolve your problem and check my post linked above if you want to know what I've already looked at and replaced (what seems like everything).

Thanks, Sorli...

my first guess would be the coolant temp sensor, the 2 wire unit.

it tells the computer the engine temp.

if the computer thinks the engine is cold when it is warm / hot, you will get the wrong fuel air mix .

my second guess would be a leaking injector flooding a cylinder or 2 after you turn the engine off.

have you tried pushing the gas pedal to the floor and holding it there when it is hard to start?

that is how you start a ''flooded'' engine.

once you get it started, how does it run? smooth, rough, surging??

Edited by johnceggleston

my first guess would be the coolant temp sensor, the 2 wire unit.

it tells the computer the engine temp.

if the computer thinks the engine is cold when it is warm / hot, you will get the wrong fuel air mix .

my second guess would be a leaking injector flooding a cylinder or 2 after you turn the engine off.

have you tried pushing the gas pedal to the floor and holding it there when it is hard to start?

that is how you start a ''flooded'' engine.

once you get it started, how does it run? smooth, rough, surging??

Yes the Temp Sensor does strike me as the first problem and what I'd try also.  I've already replaced mine, but I'm guessing it is also possible to have two bad units Temperature Sensor wise and both causing my problems.

Holding down the Accelerator was also tried and I believe forces the injectors to expel and purge fuel build-up.   Pretty hard to get the injectors off to see how they are operating, but probably worth checking and I'll run through your suggestions and see what I get.

Thanks, Sorli...

Dan,

Just giving you the heads up that I think my problems as reported here have been resolved:  95 Legacy Wagon - Starting Problems...yikes

It sounds like you are having similar issues and as noted in my 06/23 update...replacing the Fuel Pump and Ignitor finally resolved my problem.  Take a look at my link above and let me know if you have any questions.  Sorli...

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum as ya'll can see. My family has a couple of '96 Subaru's so I figured joining this forum would be a good idea.  So I've got a question.  

My 1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT has had some problems starting up after it's been running for awhile.  It never does this when it first starts, only after it has been run earlier and then stopped.  My dad and I just replaced the entire exhaust system and both cats, and got the check engine lights to come off that had been on since I got the car almost a year ago.  We've also pulled the motor and replaced the the rear main seal where it was leaking oil and put it back in time before putting it back in; however, it still has this occasional startup problem.  When it happens, I have to give it gas to turn it over and afterwards it putts and acts like it's going to die before it starts running normal again.  Could this be something to do with a vacuum line?  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.  

Thanks,

Dan