Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant type and my '86 brat

Just replaced a bad radiator in my '86 Brat (ea81). 

I did a search on the forum and on google, but can't really find an answer to my question.

What type of coolant does an ea81 call for? 

What was in it previously was orange. Does the color of the coolant really matter? 

I noticed in past posts that some of you use Prestone brand, but which type?

I picked up some Zerex G-05, which said on the bottle it's good for japanese cars older than 1995. 

Will that do? 

Thanks in advance guys :)

Edited by belacane

the color difference normally is for biodegradable or less toxic versions than the old green stuff.  I have heard of cars calling for certain types, but I didn't find any special requirements when I was searching.  if I were taking care to get the exact right stuff I would think getting one formulated for aluminum engines would be better than a generic year of foreign cars.

Don't use any orange coolant with the old green stuff.  They mix and become jelly that cloggs heater core and lower rad and is super hard to flush out.

You could use Orange stuff in a COMPLETELY empty and cleaned flushed out system from scratch....but don't mix.

I always use green as that what subaru has always used.  I run it at about 65/35 ratio coolant to water.

Edited by Gloyale

I've never spoken to anyone who has seen this jelly phenomenon actually happen. I read a few months ago somewhere that the whole thing was made up by GM. I also just helped my buddy swap a water pump on an oldsmobile. When I pulled it out, the coolant that followed was yellowish (green plus orange...) but no jelly to be found. I still flushed the system and filled with orange, cause thats what you're supposed to do. Anyone actually seen the mixed coolant jelly is very welcome to enlighten me. If it does happen, I'd like to know.

At your location you would want to do a 50/50 mix.  Just make sure you use distilled water.

Rex

Running 65/35 is fine for cooling still and if I get a leak or boil over or for any reason have to add, I can add water to a certain point without risking boiling.

Just my way of doing things.

Gloyal- I DID use what was in there in the first place, someone else mixed it. The short, broken paragraphs tend to denote condesention or a curt attitude. I didn't mean to say anything in any way that would warrant that. So I'm sorry for any miscommunication.

At any rate, thank you for the input.

Sorry, no contempt meant.  I speak in broken sentences, and I type even worse.

I love this forum and all the users.

I don't always agree, but inteligent discussion involves dissenting opinions......I have utmost respect for ALL the board members...7334 and newb alike.

I know it wasn't your original mistake......and if you got most of the mixed stuff out it'll be most likely fine.......I was just stating ideal world scenario.  Lot's of grey area and it'll be mostly fine just watch for clogged heater core.