Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spare parts mounting?

Uberoo

How have you all mounted the various spare parts and tools you bring along with you when you go wheeling?I mounted my spare tire and tool box in the hatch but things like spare axles get wrapped in a garbage bag and thrown under the passenger seat where they roll around the floor.My shovel is just thrown in for good measure...I would like to organize and mount everything so I don't get clobbered when stuff gets bouncing...It might be nice not to have to dig through the clutter on the floor to find something

Edited by Uberoo

Cushion them with material such as old t-shirts, bubble wrap, styrofoam, slightly used diapers, banana peels, or extra pillows, and store them in containers such as milk crates, ammo cans, Pelican cases, toolboxes, Rubbermaid bins, gun lockers, 5-gallon buckets, empty milk cartons...

I've made up a rear cargo storage area, I'm still refining it but the main sections are there:

dsc1425lseriescampcargo.jpg

Milk creates replaced with proper storage containers that have been carefully selected for their size to fit in and to what they're carrying.

dsc2477rearcargo.jpg

Light for night time.

dsc1423lseriecampcargo.jpg

The most has been made of all storage areas, these are behind the rear seats and fit in really well.  Then came the walls of the setup and this has added a lot of easy organisation of the whole thing...

dsc2478lseriescargotool.jpg

Just about all the tools I need are carried here - jack, handle, block of wood, random bucket of tools containing things like a spare rear bearing and replacement tool kit (custom), deep socket set, tub of high temp grease, G clamp, welding gloves for hot stuff.  Then there's my electrical box, socket/spanner set, ammo box of other tools and small air compressor, soft hammer and small mallet.

dsc2480lseriesdualbatt.jpg

Dual battery for running the 40L engel - goes well, still sorting out appropriate gauges to watch what the battery is doing.  Also this setup allows me to use the cargo area under the floor in the rear of the L series, random stuff gets put in there at the moment.

As for spare drive shafts, they live down the side of the setup on the LHS, I only carry one front and one rear shaft, plus the 36mm socket and 3/4 inch drive breaker bar to do the tough work for me.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

Wood carpenter tool boxes work well, ammo cans , milk crates.

Stuff your fluids in behind the wheel wells on either side of the hatch in the rear compartment.

rags, softer goods and flatter items can be stuffed into the hatch itself.

Mainly, use your head. You can stuff spoob everywhere if you really think about it.

The most important thing is to lash it down so it doesn't codswalloping yard sale when you flip it , roll it, or wreck it.

Bungees, tool boxes that are permanently mounted, and webbing are all very useful tools to keep headbangers at bay...

I try to go as light as possible, don't over do it bring the esentuals like, rear axle, rear stub shaft and special tools to install that, a jack and a spare tire and a comelong and a tow strap, remember this is a light car don't add so much stuff it over burdens your car , if you have a tow rig  or another vehicle leave all the extras back at camp, or let the guy with the yota carry the  stuff :rolleyes:  :ph34r: , I used to carry lots of water but fixed that problem :banghead:

• Like 1

Holy carp you have alot of stuff back there

Yeah maybe, but when going remote for 5-7 days you need to be totally self sufficient.  Plus we're touring so leaving stuff at camp isn't always an option and I don't trust others that might visit our camp when we're gone - there are some real bastards around here :(  This is what my subi looks like all loaded up with my wife and I for a 9 day trip that incorporated a wedding, a stint in a remote area for 7 days then a trip to the high country (snow) - so we needed to be prepared for the wedding, hot summer like weather plus remote touring and have our gear to rug up in for the high country.  Here's Ruby Scoo with all of that:

dsc3215ruby.jpg

And Ruby Scoo loaded up with three, wasn't really cool but she did it well:

dsc0778wimmerarubyscoo.jpg

Scott makes good points.

El Freddo is traversing lots of land at a time.

We are trail riding.

just saying

Too true monstaru!  Love the remote stuff - gotta drive 5 hours to get there but it's worth it!

Cheers

Bennie

• 3 weeks later...

a dedicated axle box would be cool. alternatively, the hatch floor compartment works well. if your axles dont in that box due to junk, maybe relocate the other stuff? i have a milk crate for all my nicknacks and bits of hose and such, a tool bag behind the drivers seat, and the rest in my loyale's hatch storage. for good measure, i have a bungee cord securing the crate. i imagine there are quite a few ways to secure things. 

maybe something like those locking fishing pole racks for the axles would be ideal.