Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing cam cap but not the cam

So no one ever says but what bad could come from this? This one I have here on the stuck one is so badly messed up it seems it would do more harm then good then just using another cap off another car. Looks like something happened to it when they took the heads off.

post-22083-0-23064000-1371489911_thumb.jpg

post-22083-0-46090200-1371489941_thumb.jpg

post-22083-0-57302100-1371490078_thumb.jpg

The caps are machined on the head. Using another cap is a crap shoot because the machined bore may be off center of bore on your head. You might need to try several caps to find one that the center lines up correctly.

Oh yeah, the bad that would come from it...

The cap being off center would leave insufficient clearance for oil on one side, and excessive clearance on the other side, so basically there would be a step in the bearing bore. That would dig into the cam as it is spinning, assuming there is enough clearance for it to spin at all. The excessive clearance would also bleed out oil pressure meaning the other side of the cam bearings would starve for oil, overheat, and seize.

Edited by Fairtax4me

The caps are machined on the head. Using another cap is a crap shoot because the machined bore may be off center of bore on your head. You might need to try several caps to find one that the center lines up correctly.

Oh yeah, the bad that would come from it...

The cap being off center would leave insufficient clearance for oil on one side, and excessive clearance on the other side, so basically there would be a step in the bearing bore. That would dig into the cam as it is spinning, assuming there is enough clearance for it to spin at all. The excessive clearance would also bleed out oil pressure meaning the other side of the cam bearings would starve for oil, overheat, and seize.

I noticed that just turning the cam in my hand with the cam cap in the other one side got more oil then the other and in the end it just flicked the oil out because of the way the current cam cap is. it's worth a try anyways

I'm not getting another set of heads.. I already spent $215 for this and it's missing a bunch of stuff inside...

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Can't you take it back?

I think they're $80 a peice with cams at the place I got to, plus taxes and the environmental charge BS. But they take anything back no questions asked.

I'd be pretty pissed to pay for a set of heads and find a bunch of stuff missing.

Can't you take it back?

I think they're $80 a peice with cams at the place I got to, plus taxes and the environmental charge BS. But they take anything back no questions asked.

I'd be pretty pissed to pay for a set of heads and find a bunch of stuff missing.

The drivers side is missing 4 buckets for the exhaust, it's a 56 mile one way drive for me which is why I'm debating.. the the other places (cheaper are a little farther like RI) I've seen heads listed as high as $300 per head... and the lowest $75

FYI I usually sell heads for close to 300 pair shipped - and a lto of that is shipping aqnd packaging.

I believe the only ones on teh shelf now have teh valves out of them and the cams jsut setting in them - but I'll look tonight when I'm done outside.

• Like 1

FYI I usually sell heads for close to 300 pair shipped - and a lto of that is shipping aqnd packaging.

I believe the only ones on teh shelf now have teh valves out of them and the cams jsut setting in them - but I'll look tonight when I'm done outside.

Ok thanks, let me know

PM coming.

I do have 2 97 complete heads from a real clean engine.

Cams, caps, bolts, the whole deal if needed.  If not the rest will go to Ebay.  Those fine folks gave me 400k free listings until 6/23.  I gotta say I'll never get 100 items listed.  If anyone here knows someone who is used to Ebay or has a method to not use listings that haven't been active for over 30 days so they don't need retyped and stuff like that please PM me.

I've got hundreds, maybe thousands of parts for Subaru and VW's that need listed.

I was hoping to find a high school kid off for the summer or something but no luck yet.

The drivers side is missing 4 buckets for the exhaust, it's a 56 mile one way drive for me which is why I'm debating.. the the other places (cheaper are a little farther like RI) I've seen heads listed as high as $300 per head... and the lowest $75

Only 56 miles?!

I wish I had a place that close! :lol: The one u-pull yard closer than that charges an arm and a leg and only gives store credit if you return anything. And their cars are all sitting too close together(most of them you can't get the doors open to get into), in the mud, and full of bees nests and snakes.

The one I normally go to is 70 miles, the other is 105. Worth it for the better prices. All the cars are on stands off the ground, and the whole yard is gravel. No weeds, so no varmints to deal with.

My only real "local" PIP went nuts a few years ago.  Their prices are so high I can have items delivered from a regular JY for the same or less money.

ANd they all stack the cars too close.  They say they'll pull out a car you want.  But that means a trip to the office.  Then waiting ont eh operator who must have gone out for a beer and a smoke, etc.

Only 56 miles?!

I wish I had a place that close! :lol: The one u-pull yard closer than that charges an arm and a leg and only gives store credit if you return anything. And their cars are all sitting too close together(most of them you can't get the doors open to get into), in the mud, and full of bees nests and snakes.

The one I normally go to is 70 miles, the other is 105. Worth it for the better prices. All the cars are on stands off the ground, and the whole yard is gravel. No weeds, so no varmints to deal with.

You look at 56 miles but try being stuck in a 27 mile delay to get to the place... yeah it sucks big time..

wow guess what these ffers said..

they only warranty the head and not the stuff inside.. WTF???

So all in all I'm out of $215..

Right now I feel like going back up to the place when they are closed and just dropping the heads right at the front door and driving off.

Tell them both heads are damaged. Put some sand in the cam bearings, tighten them down and turn the cams about 30 times.

Done.

Ha I wish that would work

Did you get my pics?

yes I did but I got a bunch of offers over at 2.5RS.com as well.