Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Solid lifter pushrods in a hydro EA81 motor?

I recently got an EA81 hydro motor thats missing the pushrods. The guy I bought it from had a near complete set of solid lifter pushrods(aluminum) he gave me for free and I'm working out a deal for a partial set of hydro pushrods(steel) right now. 

Can you mix and match the two in the same motor?

If mixing and matching won't work, can I run a complete set of solid lifter pushrods in a hydro motor? I'm not sure which set will be easier to complete..

Josh

Huh, the guy I bought the motor from said the solid lifter pushrods he included for free came out of the motor that the hydro lifter ended up going...so to me it sounded like he was running hydro pushrods on solid lifters...I asked if he had valve noise when it warmed up and he said no, but maybe he started with hydro lifters and tried running solid lifter pushrods on the , hence the bent pushrod in the free set. I was hoping they were similair enough to work, but I'll keep a look out for one more hydro pushrod. 

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't it work? I know the aluminum ones expand as the motor warms up to keep the lash the same when the block also expands, but considering the steel ones expand differently and the lifter compensates, I'm not seeing why it wouldn't work...not that I'm disagreeing, I'm just curious. 

Josh

• 6 years later...

How did it go? I will be replacing a bent pushrod on a hydro engine,but all I can find are solid lifter engines at the moment.I don't see why you couldn't run the solid pushrod along as you pair it with the lifter too. Any thoughts? Thankyou.