Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oxygen Sensor/ Cat issue in 81 EA81

Hi, I recently replaced my catalytic converter on my 1981 EA81 after I noticed some rust holes. I ordered a Magnaflow direct fit with a Bosch oxygen sensor and installed it earlier today. After getting everything hooked up, the car had some trouble starting and won't idle, it smelled a bit like it was running rich (my buddy couldn't tell if it was though).

I'm guessing the issue is in the oxygen sensor, but I'm not sure, I couldn't use what I figured was the stock sensor because it was rusted in place. The Bosch was the only one they had available at the parts store down the road.

Hoping to get this car running in the next day or so, anything helps.

Thanks!

Hi, I recently replaced my catalytic converter on my 1981 EA81 after I noticed some rust holes. I ordered a Magnaflow direct fit with a Bosch oxygen sensor and installed it earlier today. After getting everything hooked up, the car had some trouble starting and won't idle, it smelled a bit like it was running rich (my buddy couldn't tell if it was though).

I'm guessing the issue is in the oxygen sensor, but I'm not sure, I couldn't use what I figured was the stock sensor because it was rusted in place. The Bosch was the only one they had available at the parts store down the road.

Hoping to get this car running in the next day or so, anything helps.

Thanks!

On an '81 you likely have more issues than an oxygen sensor.  The O2 sensor in the '81 was mostly used to provide feedback for emissions systems, which are undoubtedly not functioning correctly.  The best thing you can do is remove all those ancient emissions doo-hickies and tune your carb to run correctly without them.  Your car will run with good emissions without all the emissions gear in case you're wondering, but the O2 sensor won't cause the issues you are experiencing.

best bet imo is to put a weber on it if you can, but if not you will have to make sure that the oxygen sensor is right for the application.  if it was running fine before then its most likely the sensor, or perhaps the cat itself is not functioning within spec and causing the car to trying to make up for it.  I dont know exactly what readings the carb uses and how it adjusts for them.  id get that old sensor out, even cut it out if you need to, and try that.  also check if theres a rear oxygen sensor after the cat.  if so it may be reading funky due to the non standard cat (I dont know if these old subs had that sophisticated of system though)

from everything I have heard the feedback carbs are a nightmare to strip down, so I would recommend fixing the problem, or just replacding if you dont need to get inspected.