Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Using My A/C System As A Guinea Pig

I decided since the a/c system on my 89 GL had a small leak in the compressor, I would see what would happen if I charged it with R134a without removing the old oil or doing anything to the system. So I put in the refrigerant and oil that was in the kit and started using the a/c. It has never worked better since I've owened the car. The small gasket leak is still there but has slowed down alot. Only time will tell if anything bad will happen. After talking with several A/C techs, and getting several different opinions as to what should be done to convert the system and why, I decided to see for myself what would happen if I didn't convert it properly. I don't use the a/c much and don't really care if it never works again.

Mark

I've got 2 years on the kit I got at wal-mart on my '92 Celica. I've had to recharge it every spring, but it holds through the entire summer. I might try a better recharge that has some stop-leak stuff in it this year.

It might not be the "correct" way, but it seems to work great, at least for a few years.

The kit I used was made by Interdynamics, Inc, Model#RKR-5. It was given to me by a co-worker, he had bought it a long time ago and never used it. The box was all rotted and the cans rusty but it worked. I did see they sell refrigerant with the oil and stop leak yesterday while at the auto parts store, I may try some when the system leaks down some.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been nearly a month now and the A/C is still working great. The leak in the compressor seems to have stoped and I have not had to add any refrigerant. The compressor cycles on and off as normal. Its been hot here, but not in my car.

Mark

• Like 1