Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roll on bed liners

Godsmulligan

I have invited 4 major roll on companies to take place in a side by side comparison over the period of one year. The companies I have contacted are Monstaliner, Herculiner, Duplicolor, Bondo and Al's liner. Does anyone belive there is another "roll on" product I should include in the comparison?

Edited by Godsmulligan

If it applied properly, a roll-on liner is just as good as any paint and as far as rust protection, it will be compromised from a gouge down to the base material just like a paint would be too. Prep is %100 key in making sure it stays on and doesn't delaminate and allow rust to form underneath, even around a gouge. Also, not all roll-on bed liners are the built the same and are not as strong as the next. I've heard a lot of people say Rustoleum bedliner is really weak and prone to coming off. I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about Duplicolor bedliner..its good for a year or two, then it fails. The only roll-on I've consistently heard good thing about is Herculiner and Durabak. They are both the same for the most part, but Durabak is slightly better and comes in a bunch of colors and even untextured. Of all of them, it stays the most flexible, while retaining its durability and is the least susceptible to sun damage. Prep is #1 and bad prep is the most common cause from problems from this stuff.

http://www.durabakcompany.com/

All that aside, no roll-on can ever compete with a professional epoxy spray-on liner. They are the best and the most espensive.

Josh

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So... everyone opted out of my comparison except Al's, but since no else was in I didn't bother. Bondo did call me to inform me that they don't even make a bed liner anymore, and Mostaliner didn't bother getting back to me at all. I was going to push the matter, but my hearts not in it anymore. I can be pretty persuasive.

The good news is that while on the Herculiner site, I took a survey. They contacted me and informed me that I had won a gift package, all they needed was my address. I thought maybe they were sending me the bed liner under the guise of the contest, so I said sure.

It arrived today. It is not the bed liner. It is a hat, an Oakely polo, a spot light, 2 power inverters and a back up camera. :D

Guess what came in the mail today? A Herculiner bed kit. I'm not sure if this is part of the gift package, or what. They did send me an email saying they were unable to participate in the comparison.

I might have to get back on the line with the others or just do an extensive review of the Herculiner. Either way, I got some bed liner :lol:

post-47847-0-38066200-1373407477_thumb.jpg

Edited by Godsmulligan
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

i have used the Herculiner on the lower part of my wagon.  its held up real well.  and the only problem areas (my car has alot of them) was where it was rusting from the inside outwards.  the coat on the outside has held up strong.   I do agree though that a spray on epoxy type would have been the best option, but it seems nobody will spray anything but beds, around here atleast.  maybe i should start a wheel well spray on liner business here in the midwest. :)