Ultimate Subaru Message Board

flex plate to crankshaft bolt torque?

what are the bolts holding the flexplate to the crankshaft supposed to be torqued to?

trying to remove the flex plate from the 2.5 yesterday, we had a heck of a time getting 2 of them off, almost to the point we were ready to break out the angle grinder on one of them!

The ones on the 2.2 came off relatively easy by comparison.

Looking thru the 90 FSM we have, I could not find any torque specs for those specific bolts - all I could find in the reassembly section was "install flex-plate to crankshaft"...

Maybe a better response later - but tight!

They kinda bottom out and get tight all of a sudden.

From the factory they are real tight.  I've hit myself in the forehead and face many times when they finally break loose.

we were using a good impact gun (Ingersoll Rand) trying to take them off - had to use the Irwin extractor set on two of them because the heads rounded off.

spray with PB, whack several times with a 3lb mini sledge, try to remove - repeat multiple times...finally got out the expensive "freeze off" spray, and the last one FINALLY gave up and came out. but geez...took nearly an hour to get one stinking bolt out!

Guess when reassembly starts I will, at the very least, use some blue thread locker on them, to prevent them from possibly backing out

Did someone lock-tite those?!

I've never really had any trouble with them just using a breaker bar.

Have to be very careful in hose with an impact because the impact wil try to jump back and round off the corners. Need to push into it really hard and use brief trigger pulls.

I wanna say those are supposed to be around 70- 80 ftlbs, but I can look it up later.

The Subaru FSMs can be hard to find torque specs in. Somewhere in the engine section should be an exploded picture of the various parts and there is ONE flex plate bolt in the picture IIRC, with a number next to it corresponding to a chart of torque specs below the picture.

Shawn - I suppose it is possible they were loctite-ed previously - all I know is that the two were a HUGE pain to get out - most of the others came out ok, a bit tough, but not ridiculously so.

Thanks for looking up that torque spec - may I ask what specific year/model that is for?

I did finally find the exploded drawing  - it shows a clutch flywheel, but I assume the bolts would be torqued the same - 1990 FSM states 58-62 ft lbs.