Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 rear suspension bind

Uberoo

Recently my rear diff on my EA81 based offroader siezed so I got a new diff and welded it up.In order to fix my axle breakage problem with the EJ22 and T case I made some hybrid rear axles.I used the inner DOJs from a 90-94 legacy on the EA81 axle shaft.So far its proven to be very strong, but due the DOJ cups being a 1/2 inch longer each the rear suspension doesn't have enough flex to install axles anymore,Instead I have to drop the diff to get enough room to put axles on.Anyway Even with the shocks unbolted and the CV axles not installed the rear suspension binds up and wont travel any further downwards.I am wondering what is the cause of that bind and if it could be cured because I would love to be able to drive up a stump or jack the rear end up off the ground to get enough clearance to install axles again.

Change back to stock axles and shocks and build yourself some new shock mounts, from the top mounting location, the new mounts should be same height as rest of your lift. You will have to match those mounts to the diff drop height, however your doing that... Keeping all stock components there really is best! Happy wrenching!

Why would I want to go back to stock? With the stock rear axles I broke on average of 1.5 axle cups every time I went offroad. In 3 weeks after completing the Tcase swap, still running a SPFI EA81 mind you, I broke 6 axle cups and went through my stockpile of axles almost overnight.Knock on wood but with my hybrid axles I haven't broken a rear axle in over a year and a half with the torque from an EJ22 flowing through the nissan Tcase to the 4.11 diffs spinning 31" tires.

My suspension is binding up on full droop and I'm looking to get a bit more travel.I can't really stuff the tires because even with 8" of lift and some light fender clearancing the tires would rub if I stuffed them hard into the fenders.I am just wondering what is the cause of the downward bind. Idealy I would set the rear suspension to limit travel 1/2" before the CV axles bind up.

My rear shocks currently have 1/2" more extension travel than the rear suspension is capable of articulating,so they are not binding the rear suspension. My shocks came from the back of a 90's ford explorer and are just about perfect for an 8" lift with no "shock lift mounts".They have almost the same specs as the stockers except they are 8" longer, and have 1" more travel.Best of all they can be found in any junkyard in america. :)