Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 4spd trans teardown - help

I am in the process of rebuilding my trans and I cannot seem to get the 4WD pinion shaft gear off of the trans.  There is a gear with a lock/castle not on the shaft and I cannot get it to budge.  Can any of you please tell me how to get this off?

post-34202-0-53340000-1372083082_thumb.jpg

post-34202-0-56788300-1372083090_thumb.jpg

An impact wrench will back that nut right off.  You might replace it with a new one (dealer item, I had to get one about 6 months ago, so they're still available) as the nut gets torn up when you peen it on installation.  Everything should come apart once that nut is off.  I had good luck reassembling with high torque permatex sealant (the gray stuff) with no gaskets.  

I suspect you need a bigger impact. or more PSI?  My $30 Campell Hausfeld wouldn't have moved it either, even tho it was 1/2 inch drive- utterly useless.  Harbor Freight has a pretty good one for under $100. It's a tool you will always need...

Dremel tool with thin wheel cut down one side to relase it the get new nut

I hadn't thought of that!!!  If I can get the Dremel in there you might have the answer.  Already have the nut ready to be ordered. :D

I suspect you need a bigger impact. or more PSI?  My $30 Campell Hausfeld wouldn't have moved it either, even tho it was 1/2 inch drive- utterly useless.  Harbor Freight has a pretty good one for under $100. It's a tool you will always need...

You know I am not sure what this Craftsman puts out.  Maybe I should just bump her up to 120 PSI and have at it.  I only tried at 90 cause I don't want to snap a ring or pinion tooth.

Thank you guys!

Ironically I have not attempted to remove it again cause of free time.  I think my approach will be full psi on the impact and if that doesn't work I will Dremel the nut.  As it has been removed before you would think it easy to remove.  We shall see.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Where, perchance, did you obtain the blown up schematic for the transmission? My fourth gear is gone and I have another transmission that I can make them one. Good luck, and keep posting, I'm quite interested.

I was graciously given a copy of the parts catalog.  Been VERY helpful to say the least.