Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stuck Shifter, 98 Legacy L Wagon

I just traded for this car, and I have no experience with Subaru drive trains. This is a 5 speed manual. The shifter is stuck, and it appears that the problem is internal rather than with the linkage. Any ideas?

JH in NC

P.S. I'm brand new to this board.

Welcome!

Shifter stuck could just be a linkage issue, have you already crawled under it to look?

Internal, might be a jammed reverse check mechanism, worst case someone managed to break a shift fork or some other craziness, which would mean splitting the trans case to inspect.

What gear is it stuck in? If you can get a hammer in there beat on it and see if it'll change gears. My shifter fork on my 00 foredter was eaten up from the main shaft but backing out caused me to get stuck in reverse. Ended up rebuilding it and works great now.

-Prwa

Not saying it's a definite, but I had the same issue years ago with a 1986 Chevy Cavalier with a 4-speed manual. It was stuck in gear and wouldn't release. Towed it to a transmission shop who found the clutch release bearing seized up, thus causing fingers on the pressure plate to collapse and lock the clutch disc in an "engaged' position. Cost me about $600 for a new clutch kit installed. That was in 1997.

Good luck!