Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi can anyone tell me what years and models I can swap my EJ22 5 speed motor in.  my son rolled his 99 Forester, and now Looking for a new chassis to swap the motor into. Just had it rebuilt still in excellent condition.  

a 99 forester should be an ej25 engine unless it had been swapped before. it will be a pretty straightforward swap onto any 99-04 forester, impreza the except wrx) , 99 legacy (non gt or outback) or 00-04 legacy (non h6) there may be some slight variations in those ranges such as egr systems, but it will work

stop the presses.

the 99 forester had a ej25, 2.5L engine, not a ej22 engine.

so i'm going to assume you were mistaken on that detail.

that engine will swap in to the 00 - 02 cars, legagy, outback, forester and impreza.

it will swap into the 03 - 04 cars.

however, you may need to do one or all of the following to get it to run

1/ use the new car intake manifold on the ''donor'' engine

2/ use the new car cam sprockets on the ''donor'' engine

3/ use the new car crank sprockets on the ''donor'' engine

the 03 - 04 cars have EGR, i do not know if the 99 does or not.

the 00 - 02 cars do not have EGR.

the computer DOES NOT need to be swapped. don't do it.

if going into a 99 - 00 legacy or impreza, you will need the exhaust manifold y-pipe from the 99 forester.

basically you are looking for a 00 - 04 car with a 4 cylinder engine to implant your engine.

Edited by johnceggleston

You can put it into just about anything if you swap the wire harness with it, but it would be easiest to find a running car and keep the engine and trans for spares.

In a 99 that has to be a phase2 engine, regardless of displacement, it has to to into a phase2 compatible car. Which basically means 99-03 Impreza, or Forester. 00-04 Legacy or Outback 4 cyl.