Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Legacy 2.5 GT 5spd- have EGR? CEL on

I was at a local ( small ) Ford dealer today that I do business with from time to time and he happens to have a very nice 1999 2.5 GT. He cannot sell it due to a CEL and is clueless twords Subaru's but knew it had an EGR code and an engine swap but he says it runs and drives fine. Told him I'd take a look at it, and he opened the hood. EGR control solenoid connector is dangling and no EGR valve, 2.2L swap. Now, I forgot to check the full details to see if it was a phase II or not but it looks like a phase I to me ( i've only delt with phase I also ). He knows that I know my stuff and suggested that he would pay me to fix it, so I agreed.. It's also a car that I wouldn't mind having, so there is the possibility that I could end up with it.. I know that if it is a Phase II, I would have to pull the heads and put phase I 2.2 heads/ intake on it, but I don't know if I would want to get that deep into it on his watch..

Does the '99 2.5 GT use an EGR on the 5spds?

As to why he does not have his mechanic do the work, he does not have a very good mechanic and I think his mechanic won't touch it as most are intimidated by the Subaru boxer.

Edited by matt167

also, if it just needs an EGR manifold swap, what is the trick to connecting the EGR to so that it does not need the head drilled? I know I could drill a hole in the Y pipe and add a NPT threadded bung and get it that way with copper pipe, but I read another way that does not involve actual exhaust gas

It will be phase 1 heads on a 99 Legacy.

Forester and Impreza got phase2 engines in 99. Legacy didnt make the switch until 2000 when they changed body style. Too many differences in phase1 and phase2 to make it work, so that engine has to be phase1 or someone did a truck-ton of work.

You need a manifold from a 2.2 w/EGR which will be easiest to find on a car with an automatic.

Legacy 2.2L was phase II in '99 which I know will work to some degree on a phase I with some extra wiring, but it would never run right due to the EGR, and IAC differences.. It looks phase I to me tho, so a trip to the junkyard to get a complete phase I 2.2L manifold with EGR is no big deal. When I was at the yard last, they had 2 dozen or so '95-'99 Subaru's

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Dealer dropped this car off yesterday. It uses a '95 EJ22E, '99 wiring harness with the coil connectors swapped ( like I did with mine ) and some of the '95 EVAP system. I got a single cyl 3 missfire and the EGR code.. The EVAP also needs fixed as it's stupidly not hooked to anything and just capped off... I'll put in new plugs and wires and the new intake, and reroute the Evap and it should be good to go.. Has 137k miles on it, but the speedo may not work.

Edited by matt167

lets get some things straight:

the car is 99 GT ??

factory engine was an ej25 phase 1 engine. (this is true for a 99 GT.)

(actually it is a hybrid, phase 2 block, phase 1 heads, intake, ECU.)

so the engine swapped in is most likely an ej22 phase 2.......

with out EGR, ?? apparently

so to make it right you need an ej22 intake manifold with EGR, usually from an auto trans car.

and a link to the EGR ''work around'' thread.

my guess is that this will fix it right up.

or most of it anyway.

It is a 1999 GT 5spd and It has a '95 Dual port EJ22E in it.. Originally I was concerned the car may have been a full phase II EJ22 being a '99 figuring someone had gotten a '99 engine not knowing ( I know it can work with complications ) . But with a good look it is a Phase 1 '95 and looks like a decent job. The wiring harness clamp that clips the 3 connectors to the block is missing, and it was a 'quick and dirty' swap with nothing cleaned and oil residue still in the coolant container, but it's all there except the EGR.. Quite likely someone just got the first '95 they could get knowing it was the most direct swap.

I told the dealer, new intake, EGR 'trick' to the IAC hose and it would be good to go. Had to convince him on the EGR trick, but also told him the alt was pulling and drilling the cyl head.. If the CEL clears, and the EGR is working, it does not matter if it is blowby gasses from the IACV or actual exhaust gasses, because the system is working.. I actually wonder if hooking it up to the valve cover breathers would do better.

Edited by matt167

I actually wonder if hooking it up to the valve cover breathers would do better.

i don't know much about EGR, but i would think it needs more flow than the valve cover breathers offer.

if the dealer is still unsure, buy it cheap and fix it for your own use or profit.

good luck.

Here in NY a dealer cannot sell a vehicle that will not pass inspection, and he generally does not sell vehicles that he cannot profit on. In a case like this or other special cases, he could allow the purchaser to buy the parts and pay the repairs before the sale is finalized, but the car would end up that much more $$ for that person because the dealer still needs to meet his bottom line... In my case, I could apply my costs and labor to the sale of the vehicle, but I don't think I want the car. I'd have to trade him my '99 SUS to get the car and I plan on using my SUS to tow my boat ( 16' runabout ) as it's rated to tow that weight.. I'd like a 5spd but it does not fit my needs and I can't justify having a car that doesn't do what I need.

I know that EGR function/ malfunction is triggered/ checked by the O2 sensors, so if the light goes out, the system is working and the NOX will reduce.. exhaust gas is just used as an inert gas to take the place of an A/F mixture to lower cyl head temps which will lower the NOX..

Well, I've got this almost complete. Intake came from a 1995 EJ22E that happened to be in a 1997 Outback. The car was a rear hit total with 212k miles and roughly no wear. Everything went smooth except for getting all the hoses and everything under the intake back together. I did loose one of the air box hold down bolts. anyone know what thread they are? I don't have a metric gauge only a SAE thread gauge

Edited by matt167