Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tapping

Check for loose heat shield around the catalytic converter. Even a fairly new a/m cat can start to rattle from there; mine (Magnaflow no less...) began to tick and rattle a bit about two weeks after it was installed.
Edited by SmashedGlass

Yep, check the heat sheilds. Mine rattle like hell on my 89, but I kinda like to have them on there, because the bottom ones are nice and thick, and seem to take the abuse from rocks and other things that might otherwise damage the exhaust. Also kinda cool to see someone else on here from just one county north of me.

Yep, check the heat sheilds. Mine rattle like hell on my 89, but I kinda like to have them on there, because the bottom ones are nice and thick, and seem to take the abuse from rocks and other things that might otherwise damage the exhaust. Also kinda cool to see someone else on here from just one county north of me.

sweet ive been looking for folks around me 

use big dryer hose clamps to secure them and cease the rattling.

Ya know, that is something I haven't thought of doing. Gonna have to try that. Though i have noticed that after playing with the big trucks at the mud pits, they are so packed full of mud and crud that they actually don't rattle for a day or so, until i wash out from under it or the mud dries and eventually falls out