Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2013 Forester 2.5 into 2003 Forester?

Hi All---

A friend's daughter was recently rear-ended @ 50 mph in her new Forester. She and her husband were banged-up, but escaped real serious injury. (Thanks, Subaru!)

No official word, but presumably the Forester will be totaled. They had only just gotten their first dealer check-up.

My 2003 has 130,000 miles on the engine. I've been saving $ to do the HGs, timing components and WP, and new clutch. Now, I'm wondering if I were somehow able to get salvage, how difficult would it be to swap in the 2013 engine?

Has anyone of you done this?

Thanks,

JW

I don't see how. The 2013 Forester has the FB25 engine in it. Everything is different form your 2003 EJ25.

Your 2003 will do just fine. My 04 Forester has 228K on the clock and is runnning fine. Headgasket never failed, but I replaced them at 141K when the timing belt sheredded and has the heads rebilt for bent valves.

that's untested territory - but yes different motor so presumably quite a lot of differences.

you can attempt to swap the entire engine/wiring harness/computer.....

presumably the car was totaled and the insurance will be writing them a check for the car- and will then own the car.  you have to get them to ask for a buy-back and see how much the insurance charges to let you keep the car.  being so new i bet it's going to surprise you how much they want.

Many thanks---

Was thinking maybe the block and heads were the same and that I could switch over my electronics and fuel delivery stuff. 

I'm not looking to break new ground; don't have what it takes.

Back to regularly scheduled program.

JW

Block and heads aren't gen remotely close. They're both horizontally opposed 4 cylinder gasoline engines, but that's where the similarities end.

I (and im sure several others) envy you. I'd love to get my hands on the parts to do an FB swap.

• Like 1