Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch question....

So sorry if I might have a couple noob questions but i barely have any time to sit down and rest let alone time to do massive amounts of research, Long story short; 93 loyale 5sp d/r swap. Clutch works, pedal has enough spring to it, last time took it for a test drive and clutch completely gave out (so it seems) once car is in any gear and clutch is let out car will not move at all! And just today it will not run, will start it but will die immediately. any help would be GREATLY appreciated, again so sorry for noob questions. Conflicting work schedule is making me tight for time....

2 questions, when did you last adjust the clutch? and is the 4x4 lever in between gears? it will cause the car not to move.

the running issue is odd.. does it start up like normal and then die or does it start slowly run badly then die?

1: about three weeks ago, my buddys helped me with it and finally ajusted it good

and 2 yes 4x4 is in between hi and lo but i cannot get it out for the life of me! 

It starts perfectly fine, dies immediately, I might be able to post a video...

jack up the front or rear of the car, this will make the trans unbind, this should cause the lever to be able to move back to normal.

Also, the video is set to private, I cant watch it.

When you adjust the clutch, you want the cable to just barely touch the clutchfork. it should be a little loose. you dont want it tight.

Edited by AKghandi

tried to watch the video but got told it is private?

check that the dual range lever is working properly, if it is stuck between the hi and low your box is out of gear and the car won't go anywhere.

TOONGA

Edited by TOONGA

• 3 weeks later...

1. The two issues are (most likely) unrelated.

2. If the lever still won't move after lifting the rear end and spinning the wheels a bit, lift the skirt and check that the bolt(s) holding the shifter to the linkage are in place. I had mine once--while I was driving, mind you--slide partway out of its housing; the bolt ended up at a 45 degree angle, jamming the lever so I couldn't get out of 4-lo. Got half way home (30 miles) before I realized what was wrong. Good thing I wasn't in a rush :P.

3. Need more info on the no-start! Could be a few things from a ground issue, to a fuel issue, to a sensor...