Ultimate Subaru Message Board

edit: title: converting air intake ducting..

So here's what I'm thinking of doing. I'm wanting to do some sort of "ram air" intake on my ej22na. I've been eyeballing a similar intake design that my sister has on her '02 legacy where the filter and air box is directly above the intake. Works great and i was thinking i could maybe do something with cold air ducting and pull air from a fender or the hood, but I have a MAF sensor. Is there any way i can either relocate that or nix it completly? 

what i was wanting to do is put either open up the box and pull air directly from the hood above or install something like this: http://www.gorillaoffroadcompany.com/product-detail.cfm/prd_key/29

I found a thread on Dirty Impreza but see that the car they are installing it on doesnt have a MAF sensor how would i mayhaps go about that any thoughts? (thread

I realize this isnt DI, the main reason i'm asking this on here is if anyone on here has done something like this with their car? 

the main reason why i was thinking of this is currently i have a "hot-air" intake and was trying to get a little more uumph and fuel efficiency 

car: ej22na

-Justin

Edited by crazyman03

The MAF element and electronics don't have to be in. The housing built by Subaru. Of you can carefully cut off the pipe section of the housing you can stick the element into any intake pipe in any place you want under the hood, You just have to make sure the element is facing the right direction.

The MAF signal wire is shielded which makes extending it tricky, but doable.

The Gorilla CAI is nice, I've thought about getting one of those myself to put under the Outback hood on my car. I figured I could fab a short, maybe 2", extension between the TB and the CAI to stick the MAF element into.

I decided I needed something to act as a water separator though since I've had water rush over the hood a few times during creek crossings. Wouldn't work too well to have water dump into the hood scoop right into the CAI and straight down the TB.

Honestly though, the stock airbox and water separator works very well, since it pulls cool air from behind the passenger headlight. Its hard to get better performance from an aftermarket setup. The stock setup just doesn't make noise.

Edited by Fairtax4me

I'm sure its just a "stock" photo of some sort. the one in the car is obviously the right one. now to come up with the cash. I was curious has anyone went that route before? it would be a *true* Cold air intake with the air coming from the bumper. 

I built a kind of make shift cold air box for my "hot air" intake. It is a bit more responsive on the throttle since the radiator fans aren't blowing heat directly to the air filter. 

I'm thinking the CAI i linked to last should be pretty productive, especially for the price compared to the Gorilla one - though I like what Gorilla comes up with

-Justin