Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please help: Cam seal retainer bolts stripped on '91 Loyale

HI all, I don't post here often but have learned a *ton* from reading the archives. You guys are an amazing resource.

I'm currently further into my '91 Loyale EA82 engine than I've ever been before; to replace the timing belts, idler pulley, and tensioners, plus the front engine seals. WIth the help of my Haynes manual and Miles Fox's videos, I'm doing great so far. Also the water pump. My Loyale just hit 180k.

My problem today is with the camshaft seals. I unbolted the seal retainers, took them out and replaced the seals and the o-rings, just as Miles demonstrated so nicely in one of his videos. However, when I bolted the seal retainers back in, the bolts were hardly tight at all, but then started spinning freely. Three of the four bolts did this; the fourth bolt was actually a bit longer than the other three. We suspect that the mechanic who replaced the cam seals at 120k may have had a problem with one of the bolts spinning in place and therefore used a slightly longer bolt to solve the problem at that time.

I guess what has happened is that the threads on the engine side (aluminum) have stripped away, but that the bolt threads (steel) are still intact. What to do to solve this problem? Should I try to retap the threads  that these bolts go into (and if so, do I go with larger diameter bolt size?), or first simply try using longer bolts that match the length of the one (longer) bolt I have already, that is also the only bolt that will tighten correctly? Partly it depends whether there is room (and threads) in there for a longer bolt in the first place.

I imagine someone on this forum has had this problem. . . and can perhaps offer a solution. On the one hand I'm feeling super proud to have taught myself all this stuff and to have successfully dug this far into the engine. On the other hand I'm worried that if I can't get the cam seal retainers in tightly, then I could have serious problems. . .

*Many* thanks in advance ~

- Brooks

Edited by pianobrooks

Mine did this too, at first the longer ones worked, but they stripped out easily too. Unfortunately, I just left mine like that due to lack of time and general laziness (I don't feel like redoing my t-belts and pulleys just to fix a small bolt). It leaks a lot of oil, so I would recommend doing something about it. Or you could use some of that Lucas oil stuff. That stopped all my leaks.

1. chase the existing threads with a tap, clean, chase again.  (M8x1.25 threads i believe....or possible M6x1.00, those are small 10mm bolts i think)

2. use a longer bolt

3. use washers to space the bolt if it's too long.  you can cut the bolt but that takes longer and you gotta chase the threads again to keep them clean.

helicoil is last resort, longer bolts should hold it.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for your replies - they are very helpful. I had never heard of helicoils, so I am glad to know that option exists. I'm going to proceed as grossgary suggests, chasing the threads and then using longer bolts. If that doesn't hold then I'll go to the helicoils.

Timeserts instead of Helicoils.  Trust me guys.  I switched over and never look back.  So much easier to get right the first time and have never had one fail like the coils.

For a lasting repair I wouldn't even try tapping and longer bolts.  Once the integrity is gone you need to trust this so you don't waste all your efforts in sealing the engine.  

Measure the current depth of the hole with a micrometer and get inserts that match that closely.  Slightly shorter is ok but as close as you can ideally.  These lock into the aluminum and won't come back out.  

https://www.belmetric.com/ts1610-m6x10-kit-p-1499.html?zenid=2u4365hdiqmmufk2jorgoibm76&cPath=217_218_228