Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Were any 1989 GL wagon's ea82 engines carbureted?

I am thinking of buying a touring 1989 gl wagon. I checked the thread on vin' s. I do not seem to be able to check it on auto check on the internet, it comes back ,invalid vin. The vin is JF2AK53B1KE002534 Does AK stand for touring wagon?

Thanks for any ideas.

If it had a 4eat in 89, it was likely a turbo car to start.

Someone may have dropped in a Carbed engine.....easiest way to swap out the turbo engine....seen it several times.

Although, if it still has the 4eat.....It will not run or shift well without a TPS input from the MPFI computer.

It's  possible a carb engine has been swapped to replace a dead turbo engine. If the guy knew what he was doing, all the MPFI harness should still be intact, and another turbo engine should drop in and plug and play. I have done this with a gl-10, swapped back and forth.

Thanks for the help.

I have reason to believe this car was built in Indiana.  It has 270,000 miles on it, and they want 800 dollars for it.  It seems to have more power than my 87 gl I am now driving with 200,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the help.

I have reason to believe this car was built in Indiana.  It has 270,000 miles on it, and they want 800 dollars for it.  It seems to have more power than my 87 gl I am now driving with 200,000 miles on it.

Wouldn't have been built in Indiana. They started that plant with Legacies.

Gunma, Japan is were all the GL/Loyales were built.

• 1 year later...