Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5lug on gl-10

AWD J3wman

okay so i have been using search for about an hour and i cant find this, im gonna feel dumb because i know someone will post a link to the anwser but...

Can i get a parts list on what i need to complete a 5 lug swap on an automatic 1986 GL-10 AWD?

Thanks guys.

XT6 rear hubs and brake hardware. xt6 front hubs and axles if your trans is turbo mt or 4eat, otherwise swap axle cups from a 3at turbo onto the xt6 axle.

You can source impreza parts from a fwd 5spd impreza for the axles and anything else for the knuckle an hubs. You will have to grind out the ball joint holes if you do not have xt6 lower control arms.

There is no substitution for xt6 rear hub at all. you must have them. they fit on any 4wd ea82 the same.

Thanks, theres a few 90s imprezas at the junkyard down the road so i was gonna yank what i can. So the Impreza knuckle and hubs look like my objective then.

And i want to actually swap over to moderns suspension so i can buy some coilovers, its a DD and i dont much plan on offroading it so i just want to drop it a bit and put on some wheels.

I've had this up in the USRM for awhile now.....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/47998-5-lug-conversion-list-plus-tips/

Also have a thread on www.subaruxt.com

http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12751

Even though mine is an XT6, it's pretty much the same as an EA82 with all the factory XT6 parts. I have more to do to it but it will give you a good idea of the parts I used. Post up if you have any questions and I will see if I can help out.

Be aware there is no way to use the impreza rear suspension on the ea82. this is where you need the xt6 part exclusively.

You can fit coilover springs on the rear struts. I have a set of eibach on mine. Yes, i do have 5 lug, but the rear strut between the xt6 and the ea82 i the same. I had to fashion a bushing for the top hat, but it works like it is supposed to.

good luck

• 8 months later...

on the front

EJ springs wont fit the ea82 top hat but the EJ top hat will fit the Ea82 strut mount Mocked that up yesterday on my gl-10

....wait are the top hats slang for the top spring retaining cup under the strut mount or the strut mount itself?

cause I mean the ej spring wont fit the ea82 spring retainer and the ea82 spring wont fit the ej strut

if that didnt help this might

WHEEL ADAPTERS

http://www.shop.adapterkings.com/product.sc?productId=11

Edited by Tat2Brat

this was posted by caboobaroo, in this thread, http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/47998-5-lug-conversion-list-plus-tips/

ive messaged him but havent heard back yet.

3. If you plan on running an Impreza
coilover setup, it'll bolt into the front with the strut tower mod
listed in #2 but the rear is totally different EA82 vs. Impreza. The
rear will fit nonetheless BUT you HAVE to use the original EA82 tophats
in the rear. I have yet to do this portion of the conversion and I have
only read that it would work so I have not yet found out myself if it
does or not.

EJ front springs will hit the inside of the struts towers without a lift kit on full steering lock. They are a bigger diameter.

Use coilovers to suit an EJ car for the front.

Some of the later Legacys use a rear shock absorber, not a strut. These can be made to fit these. Sorry, can't remember which model.

• Like 1

EJ front springs will hit the inside of the struts towers without a lift kit on full steering lock. They are a bigger diameter.

Some of the later Legacys use a rear shock absorber, not a strut. These can be made to fit these. Sorry, can't remember which model.

WIsh i knew that sooner oh well Still not all the way done with my swap so I'll just spend the money for some coilovers

I've never had that issue. Although Legacy springs are larger diameter than Impreza. I used '92 Legacy FWD, '98 OBS, and '04 WRX stock front springs on EA82 chassis several times. No issues

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 1

I had some minor full lock rubbing issues with GD struts in my first 3 door, but a BFH, angle grinder, and cutting off some of the long screws (accessories mounted to the strut tower itself) inside the strut tower gave enough clearance. Mine seemed to just need the bottom edge of metal bent over and smoothed out, this would probably vary from car to car. Some may not rub at all.

How you slot the upper strut holes will make it rub more or less as well. And obviously camber plates can allow you to center the strut in the tower, but there may be a trade off in camber/caster to avoid rubbing..

I did noticed that it had more room once I did the washer mod to the engine crossmember too. The extra ~1" of trackwidth helps the front end geometry tons imho.

• Like 1

Sorry to get off topic, but please explain this "washer mod" to the crossmember.

I've been trying to look into ways of increasing both camber & castor a bit.

You won't get any caster from the washer mod. With coilovers (small spring/perch) you potentially would have some room to rotate the caster forward some tho. Caster will add stress to the ball joint too (negligible?)..

Basically the trick is to weld 2 large washers (or some steel plate) to each side of the crossmember. Then redrill the control arm mounting hole, effectively moves the control arm out some. The added benefit is that when you go 5 lug, you won't be forced to run toe-in or cut/modify the outer tie rods. I'll pull a couple crossmembers and take some pictures.

My first 3 door formula up front was:

washer mod turbo cross member

XT4 steering rack + tierods (the XT rack does require a DIY bracket + bushing, but its easy to do)

1995ish legacy front spindles/brakes

GD OBS struts/springs

19MM swaybar

The front end feel was drastically improved. The washer mod and spindles allow for plenty of camber upfront.

Note: This isn't the only formula that works upfront. Do some research on tie rods and steering racks, its all be done before and documented on this forum.

On my next RX build, I am going to try fitting a STI rack and possibly spindles, with the bolt in wheel bearings. STI with modded 5x100 hubs or late model legacy.. The STI wheel bearings are much much much stronger tho.

Edit: Actually just look at Nico's build.. he shows the washer mod here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/126559-retro-gl-10-turbo-build/?p=1218925

Edited by Ibreakstuff

I know for castor, I need to do something with the radius rods :)

I'm not sure about the later steering racks, but I have tried a 93 Impreza rack in mine when I was half way through an EJ20T conversion. The knuckle for the column was at a different angle (more vertical), which meant the uni joint was at too great an angle.