Ultimate Subaru Message Board

legacy auto seatbelts disconnected by P.O.

Where would one do this the easy way?

I looked at the power source to the motor, nothing. A mechanic had done this for the po after he claimed it strangled him. Got the car for a friend and now we are trying to track down a fuse or connecter that has been un-done. So far nothing. I have a whole assembly but in fear of it not working on the install I wanted to track down a fuse first. Any suggestion are welcome thanks! Dave

Year, body-type, etc would be useful.  The easiest way (for me) to inactivate it is to disconnect the connectors from the controller.  I think the Legacy sedans have the controller mounted in the trunk roughly underneath the rear glass.  (That is where it is on the SVX, and I seem to recall the same location on the Legacy.)

yes, 1st gen legacy sedan the controller is located in the trunk, behind the liner, up high near the hood hinge... kind of a pain to get to, but not impossible.

For the wagon, it is mounted on the left rear wheelwell under the plastic cover, below the speaker.

both sedan & wagon should be on the drivers (left) side. You are looking for a small metal box - a little larger (more square) than a pack of cigarettes.

have you checked the fuse(s) as well?

What year specifically is your car? I know they quit with the auto belts fairly early in the 90's so yours is probably pretty much the same as mine. I will do a little digging thru my FSM to see what I can find out for trouble shooting (need to do this anyway since my passenger side belt quit working...drivers side still works fine)

Well, there really isnt much in the way of troubleshooting in the FSM for the auto belts - but one thing I did make note of is the following:

"In case the connector related to the automatic shoulder belt has been disconnected for repairs of the automatic shoulder belt, or its related parts, or for the repair of other parts, be sure to disconnect once the battery and reset the control unit"

i.e.: once the controller has been re-connected, the battery needs to be disconnected briefly (5 minutes or so?) to reset the control unit...it certainly cant hurt to try it...

if you like, I can scan the wiring diagrams for you (or you can view it here ), but other than that, there really isnt a whole lot of info in the books I have (3 out of 6 total - I have the engine, body & electrical books) aside from disassembly/reassembly info...

Edited by heartless