Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tranny engine swaps

Welcome to USMB!

Most of it bolts right in. You're using both the engine and trans from the 86? Assuming the 86 is a 5 speed, I think the areas for modification are the drive shaft and your shift lever or levers if it's 4x4. And I think the trans crossmember either needs new holes drilled in the center for the mounts, or to be shifted entirely to line up with the trans from the 86.

What's wrong with the setup in the Brat? Generally speaking the motor from the Brat EA81 is better than the motor from the 86 GL EA82. And the trans from the EA82 cars were a better setup than the EA81 transmissions.  If the brat engine is good, I'd leave it there and do some research on the trans swap.

oh hmmmm well right now my brat has oil leak somewhere on it and the entire bottom of the engine is just messy with oil so from what you have told me im guessing just clean the engine and check the tranny up and i should be good right? i wanted the five speed put into it mainly for highway driving and alittle more emph in the throttle when it gets push i have to put the peddle to the floor to get it moving half the time and id like to not have to do that. but my dad. he gave me the car as my first car and he would like me to keep it orignal and i just personally want another one thats all mine to go bs in and do what ever i want to but the brat in the 83 year are so hard to come by my friend and i are constantly on craigslist looking forf then with no luck aroiund us cause i dont have the money to go hlaf across the us to get an 83 thats at leat mostly decent.

oil leaks are common. Usually they are small leaks from valve covers,oil pump or clogged emissions crud.  A weber is a viable option for the carb as tuneability is better mileage is about the same and is cheaper than a reman.  I would check compression though just to rule out carb issues with needing that much throttle to floor it to get it moving.  IMO

IT can be done for sure. I have ea82 swapped an ea81 wagon, i have put several ea82 engines against 4spds. 

The argument is the ea81 is a more reliable engine, but with my experience, an ea82 works better with the 5spd.

One trick to this is installing the engine first, then the distributir. You may have to re-clock the distributor and cut off one of the mounting tabs to clear the brake master cylindert. If you ditch the hill holder or find a setup from an automatic, you will have better clearance.

You will have better clearance still if you ditch the timing belt covers inner and outer.

oil leaks are common. Usually they are small leaks from valve covers,oil pump or clogged emissions crud.  A weber is a viable option for the carb as tuneability is better mileage is about the same and is cheaper than a reman.  I would check compression though just to rule out carb issues with needing that much throttle to floor it to get it moving.  IMO

Cleaning out and rebuilding hte hitachi yourself cost about 30 bucks.

Can't swap a weber for that.

And webers need constant retuning for summer/winter~high alt/sea level etc....

Weber swaps on these cars are NOT all that cool if you ask me.  The hitachis are wonderful carbs when they aren't clogged up with 30 years of junk.

You could swap the 5 spd, keep the ea81 and put the 87 gl's intake on if it is carb, or if you are ambitions, swap over the SPFI if the 87 is fuel injected.

The manifolds will swap, but you may have to re arrange things like the throttle, egr, and pitch bar bracket, and modify the disty.