Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 GL wagon Fuel pump/relay(s) diagrams

Parts car, Doing the yearly crank up, did fine last year, now no fire to pump. Runs fine spoon fed. Connections look good. Have 82 FSM and Mitchell diagram, neither show relay function. Don't understand why this pertinent info is omitted. Like it's forbidden. Anybody know if diagrams are posted anywhere?

Edited by Dwayne Oxford

What do you need to know?

It gets 12v from Key.  Blue?  Maybe Blue/Black?

It gets Tach signal on yellow wire

It gets ground by black wire

Sends out 12v to pump and to electric choke on Blue/white wire?

Not sure if I'm correct on the colors

But basically you get the idea.

If it isn't putting out power to the pump during cranking, make sure it's getting tach signal and 12v in from key.

When I turn ign. on the blk, blu/blk & yel hot up. No initial hot up of blu/red. Really'd like to find diagram of module function. Seems Sub. left it out for some reason.

Blue/blk is 12v from Ig.

Yellow has 12v from key on but bulb should pulse when cranking indicating tach signal from -of coil.

Black is ground. Check this by probing the Blue/black and ground on the black with the unit disconnected. It's only showing 12v when hooked up because the power is passing through on its way to ground. If for some reason the black wire is not hooked to ground that would certainly make the relay not work.

Check for power on the pump wire (blue/red) while cranking.

Edited by Gloyale

They put a feul pump controler box inline to make pump shut off if car is hit they were teribble for going bad is up under dash on ds side above your left knee has 6 wires and is about 2 inchs square i jump the feul pump wires togther to test curcit. I think it needs to see tach signal or somthing like that to turn on but they dont like sitting around

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally took time to take apart a pump and the little fellow has a miserable circuit board in it and all's polyurethane foamed up inside. Parts house pump is $40. Anybody know what'll dissolve the foam and not kill the board? Got a good radio man here who knows what all the li'l gizmos on boards are. My li'l '85 Nissan truck and my gas Onan generator have a similar elec. pump but they're cylindrical and I think they dont have boards. Never had one of them quit.

• 4 months later...