Ultimate Subaru Message Board

catalytic

"Better off" is a subjective term open to all sorts of interpretations.

It is probably less expensive to go with a straight pipe... unless your car is still subject to inspection.  Then it can get costly.

In my opinion, there is no performance to be gained from deleting the cat, especially a new one.

Is your current cat physically screwed up?

"Better off" is a subjective term open to all sorts of interpretations.

It is probably less expensive to go with a straight pipe... unless your car is still subject to inspection.  Then it can get costly.

In my opinion, there is no performance to be gained from deleting the cat, especially a new one.

Is your current cat physically screwed up?

it sounds like something is bouncing around inside it. my concern is if i  delete the cat will i loose any power 

if the concern is power, then its a neutral equation.  you wont gain or loose any significant power.  it could be an emission or inspection problem though.  my advice if its possible is to cut out the cat, and weld in 3 bolt flanges that fit a normal aftermarket cat.  then you can put flanges on a straight pipe and bolt it in.  you can add a cat back in later if needed, and use more modern ones and cheaper aftermarket ones.

if cheapest is best, pull it and hollow it out, then put it back in.

Hollow it out so you pass visual inspection. As long as it looks like you have the cat, you are good. If you are set on haveing a good cat, I have a y pipe off of a 92 kickin around that i could let go of, and could take your old off your hands.