Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my l series from Ireland.

yobhgareb

This is my 1986 ea82  l series wagon, 42K miles when I got her.  I recently gave the body work a tidy up,{with the help of my bro in law} with new rear arches and a general clean up. At the minute, im stripping the power steering of a  1991 ea71 saloon l series parts car I have for my wagon. This will be a great improvement , and leave it easier for the wife to drive too !

The back shocks need replacing, and a set of 4runner fronts will go in soon. Also have an xt lsd in the garage for her which will go in straight after the power steering. Cant wait to feel the difference with these two upgrades. 

post-36068-0-14906800-1373787117_thumb.jpg

post-36068-0-68472600-1373787239_thumb.jpg

post-36068-0-01920800-1373787265_thumb.jpg

Edited by yobhgareb
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I scored some excellent condition tokico landcruiser colorado shocks in a 4x4 dismantlers for the rear of the l series. Got them in last Saturday , and I think they are just great! they are running with stock subaru springs, but have given the rear end a nice lift and a firmer feel. A simple and very worth while upgrade.

• Like 2

Finally got my lsd fitted on Wednesday. It's from a subaru xt turbo which had 3.7 ratio. I had to grind the inside of my 3.9 case to get the lsd in there, definitely wasnt going in otherwise. You can see in the pics where the 3.7 case is already modified to get the lsd in, and the 3.9 has four humps that need ground offpost-36068-0-50241300-1387528993_thumb.jpgpost-36068-0-63678400-1387528916_thumb.jpg

The unit I got is in great condition thankfully. I suppose they cant really come to much harm behind a lite little 130 bhp car! The extra grip is definitely noticable with the car in 4wd :)

Next is stronger springs for the front and back.

Awesome Touring Wagon.

...The back shocks need replacing, and a set of 4runner fronts will go in soon. ... 

I scored some excellent condition tokico landcruiser colorado shocks in a 4x4 dismantlers for the rear of the l series. Got them in last Saturday , and I think they are just great! they are running with stock subaru springs, but have given the rear end a nice lift and a firmer feel. A simple and very worth while upgrade.

I am glad that my Ideas helped, here are the Part Numbers you want:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Land Cruiser Prado / J90 \ 4Runner are the Same,

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Awesome Touring Wagon.

I am glad that my Ideas helped, here are the Part Numbers you want:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Land Cruiser Prado / J90 \ 4Runner are the Same,

Kind Regards.

Thanks Jesek. landcruiser shocks are the business ;)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

You're Welcome! :D

Have you taken Photos of the install?

Just Curious, I want to see how they fit with the Stock Coil Springs,

Because I installed mines along the Honda Coil Springs.

Kind Regards.

Haven't took any pics yet, but im swapping the subaru springs out for some brand new honda accord Boge springs I got for a good price on ebay. The car sits about 2 inches higher, with the subaru springs and tokico shocks, but you can still feel the springs spongy. I will take a few pics before I change them out. The new Boge accord coils are same diameter as subaru items, 1cm taller, and 3 extra coils. Edited by yobhgareb
  • Like 1

Awesome!!!

I run my Subaru "BumbleBeast" like that since many years ago, no more saggy rear but the ride becomes hard... until you drop some load on the back. 

Remember, as I wrote on my writeup, the Honda's coil springs will Lift the rear of the Subie ~ 2" and could stress the rear axles if you don't drop the differential.

Kind Regards.

I picked up this ej18 carburettor engine today from an old subaru dealership. Hope to get in into my L series within the next few weeks. Some pics -

The factory Carburated EJ engines are Awesome! ... The LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) received EJ15 and EJ16 carburated on first gen impreza, also EJ18 and EJ20 Carburated on First gen Legacy; here is a Video of a Local (Honduras = LADM Specs) Dual Range carburated EJ20 Legacy I was about to buy, years ago:

People in USA never received Carburated EJ engines, nor Dual Range EJ transmissions, as they weren't available for USDM only... I know many USMB members will pay to receive the intake manifolds & Distribuitors from carburated EJ's in USA, but despite that the Distribuitors could work, the intake manifolds looks different from their EFi Counterparts...

There are two different distribuitors for EJ's, one is for the smaller displacement ones (impreza), and the other for the Larger ones (Legacy), I have the part numbers if you need them...

Kind Regards.

swapped the rear subaru coils out for the new boge accord springs.

Below is the car with tokico landcruiser front shocks and subaru springs in the rear.

post-36068-0-65454300-1390693155_thumb.png

And now with tokico shocks and boge accord springs.

post-36068-0-73343600-1390693063_thumb.png

And a pic showing the old subaru spring on tokico v's new accord spring on tokico shock.

post-36068-0-76754600-1390693364_thumb.png

There is a slight lift from the new springs compared to subaru ones.

• Like 1

Yes, the shocks where used, but in good working order. The boge springs are nice and firm , and required no cutting to get on. They where listed for manual transmission accord with 1.8 or 2.0 engine.

The stock subaru items would very occasionally bottom out with tokico shocks, I can say this is now eliminated with accord springs.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...