Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I just recently raised my Legacy onto Outback Suspension and put 27' General Grabber AT2's on her. I've noticed a HUGE loss of power, which I expected. With a tired out EJ22 I know its time for an engine swap in the short future. My question is, What are my options? I dont want a EJ25 because of the common HG problems. Would a 3.0 out of an H6 Outback work? I'm open to just about anything, but I wanna try to keep it subaru.

i wouldnt discount a 2.5 out of hand - one that has had the HGs properly done should be just as reliable as any other motor.

Seriously - I have a 98 Forester that had the 2.5 DOHC engine that has over 364,000 on the clock - the problem with it was, when the HGs were done, things were not properly torqued, which caused upper end failure... you dont get those kind of miles from a "bad" engine...

The biggest problem you are going to run into is going to be wiring harness related - the first gens have very different main harness connection locations than later years.

the ej22 has plenty of power, on 24.3 inch tires.

installing 27 inch tires = an 11% reduction in power.

installing a 96 ej25  in your 90 lego would give you a power increase of 22%.

for a net gain of 11% over a stock 90 ej22 legacy with stock tires.

it would be WAY easier to buy a 96 - 99 outback (2200$) and install 27inch tires.

you would get the same power increase for a lot less work.

or put smaller tires on your 90.

• Like 1

Keep your existing 2.2 heads and bolt them onto a 2.5 block.

The problem with HG failures in a 2.5 is not the fact that it is 2.5, but rather thhe fact that 2.5's use a MLS steel gasket, which the later 2.2 engines used as well. Any replacement gasket supersedes the original part number as an updated design.

Will i have any lose of power or have to make any modifications by using 2.2 heads on a 2.5 engine? That just sounds strange to me, but i feel you know what youre talking about sooooo.....

do a search for frankenmotor here - several have already done this

Doing a franken motor will actually give you a nice power bump, you should have all the power you need to pull around those grabbers.  I'm feeling your pain to an extent on my 97 legacy, the grabbers are a fairly heavy tire and definately pulled my car down more than I expected it to.

EJ22 should do fine moving those tires. Even "old and tired out". I think you probably have an engine fueling or ignition issue if you feel down on power. I used to tear it up with a very used and abused EJ22 and 29" tires.

What transmission is in the car? Do you know the final drive ratio? Either auto or manual can get swapped to 4.44 gears which will make up for the bigger tires and give it more torque off the line and slower crawling speed.

• Like 1