Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Frankenmotor/Automatic transmission combo?

anyone besides me running a frankenmotor (ej25d-ej22dualport heads) with an automatic trans? 

im wondering how yours runs compared to mine,   my trans is tired, 175k, and im pretty sure its never had a fluid/filter change.(on my to do list).   its a 4.11.   i'm probably going to swap it with a 4.44 auto i have from a 05 impreza if i can get the axle stubs to swap, (*free trans! woo!)

my power seems to lack untill about 2700rpms,  i get a jolty hard shift into 2nd sometimes, and hard downshifts at times.  im assuming this to mostly be my tired trannys doing?

anyways.. just looking for experiences with frankenmotor on auto trans cars.

I have this setup with the delta cams in my 95 impreza with AT.  The motor and trans seem to match really well.  When I get on it a little, it won't downshift like before.  And then it screams when it does downshift.  It gets about 23mpg city so that's decent.  I' m pretty happy all around with it.  EL headers and WRX exhaust soon to come. :)  

LOL... is a raped ape a good thing or a bad thing ?!?!?

mine will downshift and squeal tires at higher speeds

You've got an ape you keep around just for that?

Raped Apes have been known to do some pretty crazy stuff!

I had this combo In STELLA with a "locker" switch for the center diff.

It worked really well. I could flat tear spoob up with that car.

235's with a lot of traction to boot.....

Oh yeah,

Raped Ape lol

Edited by monstaru

• 8 months later...

I just did this swap in my 96 outback. I never drove the car before , bought it and motor blew up on way home. I used dual port 2.2 heads and ej25d block. Seems to run ok this is only my second day driving it. I was hoping for a lot more but I guess we will see. I dont get squealing tires, but it seems to be a little stronger than a standard na ej . I want to open up the intake and exhaust and see what that does for it. Delta cams arent ruled out either but had to get it goin as fuel for my wrangler was killing me. I guess I should say hi since this is my first post too. So hi.

the forester is like this, sometimes slow to downshift, but hit the throttle just right at the right speed, it will go. I think it has to do with the AT shift pattern. Sometimes the trans wont kick down since there is enough torque to lg the higher gear. Sometimes it seems to shift right in the middle of the rpm curve where you want it to keep winding up.

Manually shifting corrects this :)