Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 WD Wagon 75-79 - what are you doing for exhaust replacement?

Finding stock or healthy aftermarket is getting tough. I'm not opposed to just having a shop fab. up one from front to rear. Anybody paid for that yet?

I might have one more good Y pipe buried in storage. Right now my current Y pipe isn't bad. Mainly need the center can which is particulare to the 4WD wagon and Gen I Brat. Could use a better rear pipe - the long one with the cheese grater heatshields, but that's actually NOS I place on the car seems like a couple years ago but more like 5 , maybe. The chrome on the end heat shield sticking out the back end went bad almost immediatelty - that hurt but this car is about function first so ..... Not necessarily looking for the stock replacement for resto value ,etc.... Anything goes as long as it functions and is reasonably quiet. Than again , a little note to the xhaust would be inspirational ,as we all know. LOL

Whatcha got ? Whatcha done or paid for?

Thanks for any healthy input. Cheers!

Yeah , Skip from this Board did that too. We have some very good Y pipes up here in CT still over at ctsuba's place. Some are a little different from automatics and 2WD's , but can be made to work in general.

You can make a Y pipe with old flanges. Even turn the flanges and use the two stud holes that weren't used for the past 30+ years.

But the rest of the system is weak , starting with that center can just after the Y.

• Like 1

Stock header pipes from anything through an ea82, splice together with a y or union of some sort, use stock transmission hanger mount bracket,  stick a new muffler in the muffler well and run a short exit to just in front of the rear wheel. Don't think I would do this using jump seats.  A local muffler shop fabbed from the y pipe back for about $150.  Maybe a dual exhaust exiting in front of the wheels would work well too, then no y pipe to deal with.

I used the stock y-pipe and had a local muffler shop run a straight pipe all the way to the rear with one muffler in the stock location. skipping the "noise reducer" muffler in the middle. It sure ran better after.
i think it cost 200 or so. worth it.
DSCI0205.jpg
DSCI0206.jpg
DSCI0207.jpg
DSCI0208.jpg

Edited by Reza