Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 GL Wagon front end crunch-need some parts

Oops.  Looking for some parts and any advice too (of course).

This is great little EA71 sub with brown paint (color 13) and racing stripes.

Radiator

Front Bumper

Right front fender

Hood

Right headlight assembly

Grill

Possibly both fans.  One electric one mounted on engine.  (Or just the blade assembly?) Got squashed a little against radiator.  May work, but need to tear down first to see.

I'm not sure about the front end top cross member which is bent in on the Right (pass side).  Thats what pushed in the radiator.  Can that be replaced or just pulled back out?

Thanks...

David

GL as in four headlights?

Regular chrome bumper or you looking for the 4WD optional iron 2x4 with the loop?

Sounds like you have a 4WD from the two fans.

Danny W - "drivesubies" on here and "dannybreadman" on eBay has some new parts that would help you. My storage is hell right now but I could in the near future help you out too. My stuff is mostly good used - no junk , no rust.

The radiator support can usually be banged back to decent enough shape so everything lines up well enough. All depends on how bad it is. You can cut and replace those as well , and Danny should have one.

You'll be ok soon , I'm sure. Doesn't sound too bad.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies! I'm such a noob on the forum, that somehow I missed all the replies until now.  I'll answer your questions as best I can.

I just got to the tear down today and hoping to be back up and running soon with your help.

I'm not sure how to tell Gen1 from Gen2.  Interested in knowing...

It's a 21-EA71GC engine.  4WD.  4 Spd manual. 

4 headlight, chrome bumpers. 

Has AC, which was not working.  Will need new condensor too, or take out of service.

Will need radiator, passenger side headlight (dual) assembly,  and front passenger side turn signal assembly (two lights) at minimun to make it run and legal. 

Love this rig.  Hate to see it sitting collecting dust.  It's my daughter's daily driver, so the sooner the better!  Thanks again.

what parts ? have some sounds like gen 1 to me four round headlights?

Yes,  Four round headlights.  Is that how to tell Gen1 or 2.  Can't find a thread that explains this.

Need headlight and parking/turn signal assemblies for passenger side and radiator to start.  Front bumper (chrome), Grille.  Maybe some body parts.

Don't know why I can't post photos.  Any ideas?  I can't put photos or a hyperlink.  I'll try pasting plain text links below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yido6sq9cbiy196/2013-08-23%2014.51.57%20%28Small%29.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzyfbr94zvg47ok/79%20Sub%20%28Small%29.bmp

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sytu6ua80q5q0ae/HzBhAok6-L

Tought to say from here but looks "bangable" for the radiator support. Pics looking down into the engine bay and/or of the front unibody "rails" would show more of the extent of the hit. It doesn't look bad to me if the fender didn't buckle up. So I'd say get stripping it and bang that radiator support back into shape. At least try. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good day, yesterday.  Finally pulled the radiator mount out pretty straight so, ready for some parts to see how close I got.

Just sent some PM's to those offering parts. 

I'll post more pics in the dropbox link above of the progress  Still don't know why I can't post pics direct.

Thanks everyone!

David

• 4 weeks later...

How goes the progress? My 79 Wagon hasn't had the fans working since the day I bought it. So far haven't needed them though I don't really drive it more than 10 minutes, only time I have ever seen it where I was worried was when I was parked outside in 100 degree heat and let it idle for about 20 minutes while I was inside. When I got back to the car the temp gauge was just over half way. Other than that, it does fine with them not working.. so far. 

How goes the progress? My 79 Wagon hasn't had the fans working since the day I bought it. So far haven't needed them though I don't really drive it more than 10 minutes, only time I have ever seen it where I was worried was when I was parked outside in 100 degree heat and let it idle for about 20 minutes while I was inside. When I got back to the car the temp gauge was just over half way. Other than that, it does fine with them not working.. so far. 

It is going good.  Just started putting things back together.  Been a long project mostly due to time.  I just did some rust abaitment work today and will hopefully actually start putting parts back in tomorrow.

I think both my fans will survive the crash and run again.  But I agree that it could run with just one.  After the crash I drove it home with the both fans disconnected because they were suck in the radiator. 

I still have a grill here but not shure how to ship it is big got any freinds up this way ? i think shiping would be pricy on sutch a bulky item

Thanks, but I don't think I can get up there at this time.  I haven't got a grill yet, but my local wrecker says they can get one.  I guess I'll have to give them a try.