Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carb rebuild kit for hitachi in ea81

There's more to this question actually....

I went to pep boys and they said they need the serial number off the carb because there are different versions of the Hitachi 2bbl....is this the case or can I just go to any AutoZone/O'Reillys/pep boys...etc. and order one that they say fits any 86 brat.

...I couldn't find a serial number on it anyhow, but I did not take it all the way off..only the filter housing.

Edited by belacane

Get a carb kit for an '84 wagon so there's no confusion.  In '86 Subaru was still producing Brats, but in '85 they changed their wagon line to the Loyale body style so auto parts kids are constantly confused by what their computer says.  I usually get my kits from AutoZone because they carry the Beck and Arnley brand kit which I prefer.  Other parts houses might also carry the B & A kit.  The ea81 Hitachi kits should be the same for '83-'87.

Get a carb kit for an '84 wagon so there's no confusion.  In '86 Subaru was still producing Brats, but in '85 they changed their wagon line to the Loyale body style so auto parts kids are constantly confused by what their computer says.  I usually get my kits from AutoZone because they carry the Beck and Arnley brand kit which I prefer.  Other parts houses might also carry the B & A kit.  The ea81 Hitachi kits should be the same for '83-'87.

So basically the wagon changed in '85 but the brat didn't....but the computers might say it did? Ok, cool thx!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I went to O'Reilly and they had no problem pulling up a carb kit for an '86 brat gl.

If this was the case, will I be good as far as it fitting, or should I still grab one for an '84 wagon?

Yeah it will probably work fine.  You always have to evaluate the operator of the computer at the parts store, but since it's a Brat you're probably ok.

sorry i forgot to get thoughs pages scaned i forgot about it because i always subscribe to threads i post in but for some reason i didn't in this one. it should be the right kit from orileys since most of the kits at the auto parts stores are made to fit 3 different carbs or at least the four subaru carb kits i've gotten at car quest, napa, and orileys have been. if it turns out they send you one for a ea82 motor i can scan the pages since im subscribed now.

• 2 weeks later...