Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat Front Brake Caliper Stuck

In inspecting the front brake pads, I found that one pad was severly worn compared to the other pad on the same caliper.

Obviously, the caliper was not self-centering itself on the Caliper Bracket.

I removed the single bolt (pin) that holds the Caliper onto the Bracket and found burnt rubber all over the bolt.

I pulled the Caliper the rest of the way off the other guide post (which is attached to the Bracket) and found that it was clean.

I presumed that the burnt rubber was gumming up the Caliper and not allowing it to slide on the Bracket.

I removed the Bracket as well and tried to clean everything up.

In doing so, I have found that the bolt (pin) has a smaller diameter than the hole in the bracket.

I have a picture attached, showing the diameter difference.

Is this normal, or should there be something else in there to keep the pin from moving vertically in the hole?

As a side note, the guide pin at the top had a rubber boot over it.

The guide bolt (pin) had the remains of a rubber boot over it.

Part of it was apparently melted to the Bolt (Pin) and in the hole.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Allan

post-29105-0-91268200-1374629473_thumb.jpg

Hi,

the rubber was the sleeve,  there is a wierd bushing like rubber thing that is used in there.  probably only available from dealer but cheap.  my 82 wagon had this awful rattle while driving,  it was due to this same bushing  which was worn completely out  and the calipers rattled awful on rough road.

as far as the difference in pad wear,, not such a worry, just put new lube in the slide parts and new sleeve on the pins and go with it.

BTW  i think by 84 they did away with the bushing and the pin was a proper fit ,  but i did have a 82 that used this bushing fit slide pin.

you might be able to convert to the newer 84 style without bushings?  if it's just pins and guides and maybe mounting bracket it might be easy?

*** subaru didn't have bushings on calipers for the rest of the 80's and 90's and decided to reintroduce them in the 2000's and they're a failure point.  on newer ones the bushings swell and seize in the caliper, preventing it from moving.  i throw them away on my daily drivers.

Edited by grossgary

check this out- your rotors are the solid kind, not vented, correct? If so, check this link. I have been trying to unload these and I hate to scrap anything. I think these calipers will fit in a $12.35 flat rate box. for $5 over that  I'll send these to you. PM Me if you want

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/139633-for-sale-complete-solid-rotor-gen-2-front-brake-set-up-or-any-part/

Managed to get new bushings from the local Subaru Dealer.

The parts counter guy (younger than the Brat) was surprised that they had the parts in their computer system.

They only cost $1.00 each. I had to order them, but they arrived the next day.

Will be putting the whole thing back together this weekend.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, everyone.

Allan