Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! How to identify correct CV axle!?

Alright. How's everyone doing?

Two days ago my front passenger CV axle blew. I was 100 miles from home. Started knocking, all that good stuff.

No big deal right? Right.

This lifted GL does not have it's original tranny, kay.

As a rookie move, first bought a CV for the transmission, which came from a first-gen Legacy. WRONG.

Returned it, bought a CV for the chassis, an '87 GL. WRONG.

My car is up on stands in front of my place until I can figure this out.

How can I identify and acquire the right axle???

The Legacy CV's outer spindle was too short.

The GL's "receiving spindle" that connects to the diff. was too small by... maybe two MMs.

Does anyone... Have any words of wisdom?

I've swapped three CV axles in my life. Totally familiar with the process.

But I've never had to do it with a FrankenSub.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

IF this is an impreza awd trans, it would be 25 splines. You will need an ea82 axle that is 25 splines, but has the proper spindle for the ea82 hub.

Presuming my guesses are correct, you are going to want a 25 spline axle for an ea82 5mt turbo. Try 1988 rx turbo coupe, or 88 gl-10 with 4spd automatic trans (full time 4wd from the parts listings.

Basically any ea82 turbo with a 4spd auto, or 5spd manual will be the correct one.

Wow. Miles.

Solid response man.

Honestly, that was a learning experience.

I hope your guesstimations are correct.

This afternoon - ordered an assembly for an '87 GL-10. 5-SPD

Figured a non-naturally-aspirated powerplant's transmission would require a somewhat beefier output shaft.

Daunting.

More to come shortly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As it turns out... The '87 GL-10 CV was the axle needed.

I'll be posting a thread regarding the project later.

To chronicle events, and to warn the masses of the potential woes and mistakes to watch out for - the mistakes I made.

Thank you for the great input everyone.

It wasn't the best time, but it certainly was a learning experience.

BR out!

• 3 months later...

Boxer Rebellion,

I have been having a similar issue. My car is a 1987 GL-10, originally equipped with turbo engine and push-button single range 4wd. Years ago I swapped in a dual-range 4wd tranny, and have bought several axles since with no problems until the past few years...The first try I got one with the correct fit on the stub shaft, but too short by at least an inch. The second one I tried was the right length, but the spline cup was slightly too large. One would think that with so many of these models still on the road that parts would be easy to find, but no!

So, if you could provide any and all info for the part you finally ordered, that would be great. Who did you order from?

BTW, I also got the wrong pressure plate from an online vendor recently, specified for a GL-10, but it looks much more like a Justy-sized part. Once again, not sure why there are suddenly so many problems when it used to be easy!

Thanks,

Phil

PS- Where are you in Portland?

Boxer Rebellion,

I have been having a similar issue. My car is a 1987 GL-10, originally equipped with turbo engine and push-button single range 4wd. Years ago I swapped in a dual-range 4wd tranny, and have bought several axles since with no problems until the past few years...The first try I got one with the correct fit on the stub shaft, but too short by at least an inch. The second one I tried was the right length, but the spline cup was slightly too large. One would think that with so many of these models still on the road that parts would be easy to find, but no!

So, if you could provide any and all info for the part you finally ordered, that would be great. Who did you order from?

BTW, I also got the wrong pressure plate from an online vendor recently, specified for a GL-10, but it looks much more like a Justy-sized part. Once again, not sure why there are suddenly so many problems when it used to be easy!

Thanks,

Phil

PS- Where are you in Portland?

Problem is you have a GL-10 turbo model......but you have a regular non-turbo 4wd trans in it.  You need an EA82 chassis axle, with the 23 spline inside (smaller of the two sizes) 

The first axle you got was for EA81 (brats, hatchbacks, older wgn/sdn)  Splines fit, but too short.  Happens because these cars were also offered as "GL" models with the "1.8" engine in the same year.  Completely different body and engine cars.

You need to order an axle for a 91 loyale.  This will eliminate the possibility of getting an EA81 or a Turbo EA82 axle.

Also, the clutch you may have gotten a FWD clutch....there were FWD GL-10s.

Order your clutch for the 91 Loyale too and you will get the right one.

• 3 years later...

I don't mean to pirate this thread, though it's old but this whole thing with axles is frying my brain! I have an '87' DL 4WD carbed 5 speed wagon and an '86' GL 4WD carbed 5 speed wagon. Both have Hi-Low trans. I was told that the front cv axles were interchangeable for these rigs from '85 to '89'. They both have 23 splines and I assumed that's what I would receive when I ordered 2 axles online but when they arrived I found them to have 25 splines and the axle shafts were bigger diam. with no raised casting marks on them as are on the 23 spline axles. According to the seller and his comparability chart it was supposed to fit. Some of the other seller's compatibility charts showed 23 spline axles but most didn't. So how is one supposed to know? I finally did find the 23 spline axles that fit but now I have 2 axles that I can't use and cost too much to return. What models and years used a 25 spline axle? I may be in the market for one of those.

Edited by 3crows

• 8 months later...

Pirate #2...

Similar problem. I have an 86 DL and have searched high and low for front shafts. The vehicle itself is a front wheel drive, 4 speed. Everywhere I've looked have brought up the same part number. The problem is that the newly purchased shafts are too long. they fit everywhere else, on the transmission stub, slide into the hub and bolt on. When I try to stuff the tire under the wheel well, it just wont go. 

I am having the same problem on my 88 dl wagon the shaft I got used is too short but it was free and my old one was missing. I put my new bearings in as well as the new seals. the calipers I got from pull and save are too small though. if I could only remember what Subaru I got it off of. it is too small between the mounting bolts to bolt up to the hub. o well, it will teach me to buy new brake parts instead of used.