Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Noise, Blower motor question.

My fuel pump is making a loud whirring sound its audible in the car at idle.

Is this common or correct? Should I look into replacing it? I don't want to get stranded anywhere.

Second question is, my blower motor doesn't function at all on any speed, is the the fault of the relay? My fuses are all fine, can I hook up a battery directly to the blower without causing damage to it?

Thanks.

the fuel pumps can be noisy, they are external and easy to here on EA/ER vehicles. 

they are also prone to failure by this age too so hard to say if it's normal or ominous but if you can have an extra available that wouldn't be a terrible idea.

yes - give the blower fan 12 volts and see if it spins. 

the resistor blocks can fail or the fan itself can fail.

the controls could fail as well - are the controls lit up?  any stereo or other work around that area?

The motor spins like its brand new, I don't think the 1, 2, 3, 4 light up but when I press the vent controls, they light up.

Radio works, everything else lights up. I believe the previous owner got another 1,2,3,4 switch from a junkyard, but I don't think that could be the problem could it?

Is there not a relay for the blower motor? or is it just a fuse?

If I could find a wiring diagram I'd be set.

I'm up in Canada so there are basically no Loyales anywhere, everything in the junkyards is like an 1995+ Impreza or Legacy, could I find a fuel pump from them? or am I better off ordering from eBay? or some where else? What's involved in changing the pump?

I read in another post that an F-150 pump can be used, but it puts out 90psi, when the Subaru one puts out 45, and that it can be strenuous on the pressure valve, Any other alternatives that I might be able to pull out of the scrapyard? I don't want to wait for shipping, but I don't want to pay for something that won't work or may cause me more trouble down the road.

Edited by Mustakrakesh

Ok, so I spent about 3 hours today trying to get the blower to work.

I checked the relay (above the fuse box, blue connector)

I checked the switch, (rather I replaced it with my spare)

And I checked the resistor pack (my middle coil is burned out)

I still can't get anything out of it.

I have the switch on 4, because I figure that wouldn't go through the resistor pack.

I tried soldering a porclaine resistor onto the resistor pack, I've tried jumping the resistor pack.

I've switched the relays, and I've tried the clean the copper connections on the switch.

Nothing has worked, anywhere else I can check?

The blower works fine when I connect it to a battery outside of the car.

I mean the only thing I haven't done is literally pull out all the wires and check them, I just my next step is to check them for continuity.

I've got half the dash torn apart and I'm getting nowhere. :banghead: 

Power to the blower passes through the fuse, then to the relay, to the motor, to the resistor pack, and then to the switch to ground. See if you have power getting to the motor with the switch on. If you don't have power there then you most likely have a bad relay.

Wow, do I ever feel like a moron.

I printed up a wiring diagram and within seconds I knew I was testing the wrong relay.

I should have known too, the relay pin was bent and melted as was the connector.

Look what I did to the poor Loyale because of my ignorance!

IMG_20130730_1540361_zpsf0cb0d44.jpg

Heres the relay and connector, just to humor someone.

IMG_20130730_1541281_zpsec90c481.jpg

IMG_20130730_1541371_zps963e7298.jpg

Oh, so now that I've got it working, I was hoping to find the right resistors to restore all my fan speeds.

Does anyone know the values for 1,2,3? They're not listed in my wiring diagram.

Thanks.

Edited by Mustakrakesh

Oh, the horror and shame! I can't look upon it. This is why a factory wiring manual is worth its weight in gold.

Purchase a new resistor pack from the dealer. You might have to replace that damaged relay socket along with the relay also.

i've seen the resistor packs really cheap before....rockauto....ebay...somewhere, i was surprised how inexpensive they were. 

can you test the resistance of the existing 3 resistors you have and maybe be able to make a guess for the missing one of yours?

maybe someone can test one or send you one?