Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"burning clutch" smell from AC vents

After blaming the distinct smell of "burning  clutch" on a ratty looking ford pickup truck ahead of me, i noticed the smell continuing after said Ford was gone. got the smell to go away by turning off blower fan. Could this be the resistor panel for the blower speeds and how much of a pain is it to get in there for inspection/replacement?

It sure dont smell like grease, and is remenicent of the fragrance of the resister block meltdown I had on our Dodge caravan. is there a section on the site with some diagram PDF's?.I am fairly confident of the diagnosis just wanted to know what i was up against location wise. i have seen everything from 10 min./pop out the glove box (Dodge Caravan), to 5hrs./tear the whole dashboard apart ( Volvo 240). Thanks for the replies, first day on here.

yes they do, but as i learned on the mini-van, there is so much current flowing thru, that if some thing gains resistance (corrosion) its gonna heat up. had to visit the virginia beach radio shack for some spade lugs to patch up the power input to the resistor array, which had smoked up on vacation.Will certainly check the CV and appreciate all the help.