Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 h6 outback transmission shudder trying to diagnose please help

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you know by now that ivans therys are always different I dobut it whould have hurt trans towing it like that as it whould have no line preshure to engage awd clutch and the car whould be tilted up on front filling the back of trans with fliud so no run dry. To be honest i think it can only do damge to standard cars towing them like thiss or runing auto cars not runnning not awding. Did anyone check the rearmost Ujoint ? and how long dose it take to go into gear cold first time in morning ? the longer the worse it is. a'm a bitt confused about the VDC trans the vdc one i pulled apart was exactly the same as regular outback one no diff i could see anyway

Lol well I have driven the car over a thousand miles now.I drive a lot.problem nit gotten worse.just got to be slow on take off and let off gas when shifts into second and don't go up a hill from dead stop.but car is for sale 2k if anyone interested.I live in brainerd MN

They did have a droping resistor to make for slower takeoffs they did it to svx to somthing about reducing shock load on takeoff with six cly cars not shure how it worked but my bros svx is a slug if you try to romp on it cold

i have just disconnected that droppping resistor - passengers side strut tower i believe to firm up shifts.

I really think its an axle once in awhile well most always now when I get above three thousand rpm in first gear I get a tink sound from passenger side front. Its a fast tink tink and it will stop for split second once in a while like it caught then it continues. Or could be front diff.hoping its axle

Its weak line pressure. Put a dropping resistor from a 01 LL bean with 100 k on it and tranny goes back to slipping. So its either blown seal on inside of transmission or the pressure control regulator went. Anyone got a part number for it??? Subaru can't find it in their log.

Yup thanks.got it out.have not driven it yet.fluid was super dark purple and only about a cup drained out. Is that normal?? Or should more have drained out?? And I had to pry it off with screw driver it was torque on so tight.have nitdriven it yet though.

Ok I drove it.it did nit really help. Ok from what I read their are multiple solenoid controlling pressure in the transmission.and the duty a solenoid is what controls pressure for first and first to second gear. So its plugged cooler or the solenoid or blown seal. Ugh.anyone want it??? Two grand

shure drive it up i will give you 2000$ mind you cost you that to get it here i worked on one yesterday I realy liked it had 304000kms on it I had done trans at 275000 kms had eaten up the plaentarys used trans and good to go that trans was jamed and whould not move at all. Before you get to frustrated take it to a trans shop that can plug scaner into it they can watch the preshures and shift points on scaner while they drive this can at least tell you if its preshure problem or mecanical problem

So I ripped apart the dropping resistor that I took out of my car.all UT is is Four wires encased in cement. Unexpectedly the two white wires connect and the two black ones connect.so in morning I gonna wire them to by pass the resistor and my car should go in overdrive

Yup wired the two white wires together and the two black wires together on the resistor and car shifts perfect and goes into overdrive now. Just goes into gear firmly cause of now high line pressure but its not even that bad

i agree with nipper, your AWD unit is toasted... i do own a H6 and im having the beggining of torque bind...  when accelerating i have a slight vibration on 1st and 2nd then 3rd and 4th is good...  you'll need the AWD unit serviced ie all new clutches,  sol c and must must must check the gears if they are eaten up you'll have to do it as well...  DONT EVER TOW A SUBARU LIKE THAT AGAIN UNLESS IT IS ON A FLAT BED