Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 BRAT Fuel pump/Disty issue?

The pump is not getting power. I have it wired direct and she runs like a champ until I go up a hill or put any kind of load on it. Then it just starts missing, sputters and dies. It will start back up and idle though. I have a blaster 2 coil sitting around that I'm going to swap out when I get home. We'll see what that does.

Coils / electrics / high tension leads between coil / distributor cap also / spark plugs get over looked in diagnosing these problems.

These electrical components especially coil / high tension leads can break down under load / do intermittant things  when they are failing.

• 5 months later...

Ok, did a full Weber conversion and emissions delete -Didn't solve anything. Pulled another fuel pump control module out of another car, replaced both fuel filters again, replaced fuel pump, disconnected and blew out all lines, drained and flushed fuel tank -Runs like a raped ape! Not sure if i had one single problem or if it was a combination of everything. The old fuel pump control unit was definitely bad though. Got power to the fuel pump as soon as I hooked up the new one. I also noticed that with the new module, I have continuity between the wires at the fuel pump and I didn't have that before either. Thanks everyone!